1. Possess a valid coaching authorization or the credentials of a certified teacher with an endorsement for coaching.
2. Demonstrated interest in and aptitude for performing the tasks listed.
3. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
4. Must exhibit high moral values and be able to serve as a favorable example to young people.
Assistant coaches, student athletes and student managers
To provide leadership, supervision, and organization of a specific athletic activity, and to carry out the objectives of the total athletic program.
To include helping each participating student achieve a high level of skill, an appreciation for the values of discipline and an increased level of self-esteem.
1. Year-round responsibilities
A. Formulate objectives for the coming sport season as it would pertain to player personnel and assistant coaching responsibilities.
B. Keep abreast of new ideas and techniques by attending clinics and workshops, reading in his/her field and encouraging the assistant coaches to do the same.
C. Be knowledgeable of rules and regulations concerning his/her sport, and changes which occur.
D. Be active in professional organizations such as the state coaches association.
E. Inventory, selection, care and maintenance of equipment.
2. Seasonal Responsibilities
A. Before season
1. Assist Activities Director with proper registration of all athletes at beginning of the season.
2. Assist Activities Director in the collection necessary fees.
3. Assist Activities Director in compiling eligibility lists and other reports.
4. Be aware of and post an emergency phone and doctors list.
5. Arrange for a systematic issuance of school equipment.
6. Make sure all athletes have had physicals.
7. Explain all regulations of the district.
8. Clarify to athletes the letter award policy.
9. Select and instruct team managers on proper care of equipment, facilities, and other duties assigned.
10. Check arrangements for all bus trips with Activities Director.
B. During Season
1. Assume responsibility for constant care of equipment and facilities being used.
2. Assume supervisory control over all phases of teams in the program.
3. Organize and schedule practice sessions on a regular basis with the idea of developing the athlete's greatest potential.
4. Apply discipline in a firm and positive manner.
5. See that facility regulations are understood and enforced.
6. Emphasize safety precautions and use accepted training and injury procedures.
7. Conduct oneself and teams in an ethical manner during practice and in contests.
8. Report outcome of contest to the media.
9. Instruct players on rules and rule changes, and new ideas and techniques.
10. Provide to the athletic director for file purposes, a copy of all general correspondence and bulletins to student athletes and parents. This would include handbooks.
11. Adhere to the rules and regulations of the school district regarding school bus regulations.
12. Directly supervise or designate a supervisor of all dressing rooms and lock up all facilities at the close of each practice or contest.
13. Accompany the varsity team to all interscholastic activities away and be the first in attendance at home events.
14. Designate one or more of assistant coaches to be responsible for the junior varsity team.
C. End of Season
1. Arrange for the systematic return of all school equipment and hold the athlete responsible for all equipment not returned.
2. Arrange for cleaning, storing, and conducting an inventory of all equipment.