Come join our Exciting and Rapidly Growing Hospitalist Program in Fort Myers, FL with the Lee Memorial Health System . Cogent HMG is seeking a Full-Time Physician Assistant for a position in the Hospitalist program. The Hospitalist Physician Assistant will provide medical management of patients under the care of the hospitalist program, and within the scope of practice recognized by state law. The Hospitalist PA also collaborates with the hospitalist care team to coordinate and manage the process of patient care from the point of admission to the hospital, through discharge and hand-off to a community care provider.
Clinical Care Coordination
- Performs histories and physicals under direction of hospitalist physician
- Identifies and manages acute illness from admission through discharge under supervision of hospitalist physician and with adherence to best practice guidelines.
- Prescribes medications and therapies as appropriate under supervision of hospitalist physician.
- Collaborates with hospital care team to ensure that all current labs, test results, consults, orders, etc., are carried out in timely manner.
- Communicates pertinent information regarding patient’s hospital stay (landmark events) with patient’s primary care provider as needed.
- Meets with patient/family to determine barriers to discharge and set expectations for hospital stay
- Collaborates with hospital discharge planning to ensure appropriate and safe discharge plan and disposition.
- Ensures follow-up appoint is made with primary care provider.
- Resolves post-discharge homecoming call issues.
- When Applicable - Actively participates in daily standup meeting with hospitalist team to ensure plan of care for patients is communicated and acted upon.
- Participates in data collection for quality improvement initiatives: conducts clinical audits, collects care delay information, PQRI, and review of core measure indicators.
- Under supervision of program medical director and in collaboration with hospital utilization management, evaluates clinical care and utilization of resources against current standards utilizing decision support tools: Cogent Careguides and/or Interqual Criteria and/or Milliman & Robertson
- Participates in client and care team meetings to evaluate and plan progress of hospitalist program
- Meets with patient/family on admission to educate on role of hospitalist
- Educates and promotes hospitalist program among hospital staff
Education, Training, Experience:
- Bachelor or Masters Degree and graduation from fully accredited physician assistant program.
- Currently licensed to practice as a physician assistant (PA) in state of FL
- BLS/ACLS Certified
- Adult/General Medicine experience required
- Well-developed communication skills
- New Graduates and practicing PA’s are encouraged to apply
- 4on/4off block scheduling
- 10 hour shifts – (10am – 8pm)
- Weekends will be required
- Maintains strict confidentiality with regard to protected health information and understands and adheres to Cogent HMG’s HIPAA Privacy and Security Policies and Procedures
This job description is not all-inclusive and can be changed at management’s discretion.
Keywords: PA, Physician Assistant, Internal Medicine, Hospital, Hospitalist