A phlebotomist is responsible for collecting blood and other specimens from patients of various age groups as directed by the physician utilizing approved collection techniques. Although the primary function is to collect blood and other samples for testing, the job begins at the first contact with the patient. Lab procedures can be a distressing prospect for most patients and the phlebotomist must be able to put the patient at ease while simultaneously prepping the patient with tourniquets and disinfectant, and then drawing the blood as painlessly as possible. It is also the Phlebotomist’s responsibility to accurately label each sample making sure it contains the correct patient identifiers and tests required. The phlebotomist must be prepared to work with a variety of complications that may arise from patient conditions or allergies and be able to adapt their procedure and equipment to each unique situation. The phlebotomist may also provide additional help in other areas of the laboratory including answering phones and general customer service.
Entry Rate: Based on experience
Benefits Eligible: No
Shift Details: Varies, PRN
- High School diploma or GED in compliance with CLIA regulations
- Ability to work in a team environment under stressful situations
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently
- Basic computer skills
- Attention to detail required
- Ability to follow directions
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English in order to follow instructions and label products
- Safe disposal of blood and bodily fluids
- Position will require the flexibility to work a variety of shifts that may include weekends, holidays and nights
- Lifting, Hearing and Listening, Manual dexterity, Motor Coordination, Seeing, Speaking, Standing, Walking
- Current Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer CPR certification. For additional information regarding CPR please visit our Job Requirements Page .
- Phlebotomy training as approved by Manager/Supervisor or six or more months previous phlebotomy experience
- Previous experience in a patient care environment
After applying, please check your email often. Some positions require assessment testing and notification will be sent to you through email. Once the email notification is sent, you will have 24 hours to complete the assessment. If the assessment is not completed within the allotted time frame, your application may not be considered further.
All positions subject to close without notice
Intermountain Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
Intermountain Healthcare is an internationally recognized system of 22 hospitals and a full range of medical services, multi-specialty...