Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) works in partnership with the entire health care community to improve quality and efficiency in an evolving health care system and provides leadership in the broader health care marketplace. Our effectiveness depends on the capabilities of a dedicated, professional staff that is committed to supporting these objectives. A career with CMS offers the opportunity to get involved on important national health care issues and be part of a dynamic, fast-paced, and highly visible organization.
Join CMS for an incredible opportunity. The CMS Pathways - Internship Program provides student enrolled in a variety of educational institution with paid opportunities to work and learn about careers in CMS while still in school. We are looking for dedicated interns to participate in CMS' 12-week Summer Internship Program to assist in improving health care and ensuring coverage for all Americans while gaining experience in administrative career fields (e.g. business, accounting, statistics, finance, mathematics, actuarial studies, general administration, etc.).
These positions may be located in any organizational component within CMS. Click here for more information about organizational components in CMS.
The listed salary reflects base pay. For more information about locality pay, please visit the following links:
Baltimore, MD ; Denver, CO KEY REQUIREMENTS
You must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National to apply for this position.
You must meet the Selective Service requirements (See “Other Information”).
You must be 16 years old to be employed by the Federal employment.
You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
Use the Print Preview feature for a complete copy of this announcement. DUTIES:
In this position you will serve as a Student Trainee in the CMS Pathways - Positions within the Administrative Student Trainee, GS-0399, series will be assigned with Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to assist professional and technical staff by performing a variety of support to office staff. Typical work assignments may include:
Providing managers and employees with information regarding the agency's operational policies, procedures and guidelines;
Providing program and administrative support functions and preparing correspondence;
Reviewing documents to compile data and information for a specific program, project, or issue. QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
ALL PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
To be eligible for the Pathways Internship Program, an individual must have been accepted for enrollment or be enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) in a qualifying educational institution/program on a full or half-time basis for the upcoming FALL 2013 semester . Click here for a definition of a qualifying education institution/program.
Transcripts or other applicable documents (e.g. acceptance letter) are required to verify program eligibility.
- AND - Possess and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on the 4.0 scale.
GS-04: Successful completion of education 2 years above high school (This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school.);
GS-05: Successful completion of education 4 years above high school (This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school.);
- OR - 1 year of general experience which is progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled. Examples of general experience may include answering telephones; typing; scanning; filing; copying; or greeting customers.
- OR - Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements at the grade GS-04.
GS-07: Successful completion of 1 full academic year of graduate level education (One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended.);
- OR - 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-04; examples of specialized experience include: routing mail; checking reports and documents for grammar and punctuation; or answering and routing telephone calls ;
- OR - Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements at grades GS-05 and below; for the GS-05 level, only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience.
Transcripts are required to verify satisfactory completion of education as part of the qualification requirements.
- OR - Superior Academic Achievement (SAA) upon completion of a bachelors degree. Click here for more information about SAA;
- OR - 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05; examples of specialized experience include: maintaining office records and files, locating and compiling data for use by senior staff; or experience creating reports and correspondence ;
- OR - Combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total qualification requirements for the GS-07.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, additional supporting documentation is required. Click here for information about educational institution accreditation with the U.S. Department of Education .
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
Optional Form 306 - Declaration of Federal Employment - available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of306.pdf . This form is not required to be submitted at the time of submitting your application. However, if selected, this form will be required prior to final job offer.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once you complete and submit your application package, your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the eligibility and qualification requirements. Your résumé and supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your consideration for employment.
CMS Pathways - Internship Program candidates will meet the qualification requirements consistent with the OPM qualification standards applicable to the position being filled. Veterans' preference applies to all selections made under the Pathways authority in accordance with Part 302 of 5 CFR. Candidates who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements need not be further evaluated. BENEFITS:
Interns hired on a short-term basis as a summer hire are not be eligible for Federal benefits.
Pathways participants that will work 90-days or less accrue sick-leave once they begin their Program.
Intern appointments may be extended beyond the 12-week NTE date at the agency's discretion. For more information about extended appointments and program completion/conversion, click here to review the OPM Internship Program Fact Sheet. OTHER INFORMATION:
The CMS Pathways - Internship Program (Summer 2013) will begin in May or June 2013. Internship appointments will last for 12-weeks based on the start date.
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
TRAVEL REQUIREMENT: None
TOUR OF DUTY: Flexible
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT: Non-exempt
RELOCATION EXPENSES (PCS)/R ECRUITMENT INCENTIVE: Not Authorized
SECURITY REQUIREMENTS: SAC
FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: May Be Required
BARGAINING UNIT POSITION: No
TRANSCRIPTS or COURSE LISTINGS: Required
NOTE: An unofficial transcript or a list of courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned can be used as a substitute for the official transcript of application submission. However, official transcripts will be required before final job offer is made.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: If you are a veteran with preference eligibility, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility in order to be considered as a veteran. Click here to view information on veterans' preference and other veteran entitlements on the USAJOBS Pathways FAQs page.
SELECTIVE SERVICE: MALE APPLICANTS BORN AFTER 12/31/1959 must certify prior to job offer that they have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under Selective Service law. Click here for more information.
JOB SEEKERS WITH DISABILITIES: Click here for more information.
usajobs.gov - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard -
Indian Health Service's mission is to provide health care and related services for American Indian and Alaska Natives, as well as their...