Train, coordinate and participate in a variety of routine and complex
technical procedures and
activities related to the care of various
Manage, coordinate and perform technical animal procedures for
researchers; interact with
researcher in scheduling and performing duties; maintain records and
write reports in
accordance with general laboratory procedures.
Train University technical and professional staff in methods of Animal
procedures by instruction and demonstration.
Monitor health status surveillance for all dogs, cats, rabbits and
Anesthetize laboratory animals as required and serve as a circulating
procedures requiring anesthetized animals; assist in
Administer post operative treatment to research animals; assist in
performing routine hematologic and parositalogic tests.
Assist in necropsy and trim tissues for use in histopathology.
Assist in experimental studies to discover or elucidate the causes of
disease in laboratory
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
individuals assigned to this
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities
and duties required of
personnel so classified.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Clinical observations & evaluations of animal health status
2. Assist in surgery
3. Anesthetize and intubate dogs/cats
4. Administer daily treatments and medications
5. Basic animal restraint techniques (excluding primates)
6. Basic diagnostic lab techniques
7. Basic radiograph techniques
8. Participate in enrichment plan
9. Anesthetize and intubate swine
10. Basic NHP's restraint techniques
11. Large animal technical skills
12. Rodent, guinea pig, rabbit, etc health evaluation and treatment
13. Ability to follow and enhance enrichment plan for NHP and other
DLAR Refining Skills:
1. Large animal handling skills
2. Rodent, guinea pig, rabbit, etc handling
4. Placing catheters
5. Prepare surgical packs
6. Intensive care and emergency care
7. Antibody Production process
8. Able to train PI staff in lab animal technical skills
Work requires Associate's Degree in Veterinary Technology with RVT.
Obtain LAT within 24 months of hire, ALAT desirable.
Work requires two years of experience in a laboratory, animal
care facility or related setting (at least one of which was in a lab
animal facility, desirable).
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke University Health System is a world-class health care network dedicated to providing outstanding patient care, educating tomorrow's...