The Programmer Technician/Helpdesk Specialist under the direction of the Coordinator of Helpdesk Services/Instructional Technology Support assists and instructs faculty, staff and students in the proper use of the computer hardware and software facilities available to the academic community. Works closely with other areas of the I.T. Department to provide diagnostic and corrective action as applicable.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
• Facilitates faculty/staff/students in the proper use and operation of computer lab facilities.
• Conducts seminars and provides individualized instruction and training to faculty, staff and students in the proper use of computer systems.
• Writes and documents operating instruction manuals to assist computer users in the lab.
• Insures maintenance of records, computer use and performance.
• Provides support for programming or application projects as required.
• Ensures the cleanliness of equipment in computer labs.
• Diagnose computer-related problems by end users and effect corrective action or recommend further analysis by other I.T. department members.
• Staffing a “Helpdesk” and being responsible for making sure that all calls are handled properly, courteously and expeditiously.
• Logging and reporting all calls to the Helpdesk so as to address common problem areas as quickly as possible.
• Assist with multi-user application software so that simple problems related to these products may be resolved quickly.
• Become proficient with a report writer language so that simple report requests by I.T. management would not require programming staff assistance.
• Keep end-user community informed regarding status of computer problems, especially during periods of unexpected downtime.
• Assist end-users with application software problems through phone conversation, if adequate, and by visiting the department’s office as needed.
• Maintain procedural documentation related to the responsibilities of this position.
• Completes personal transfer of helpdesk operation to next helpdesk shift in a clear and professional manner.
• Performs mandatory overtime shift coverage to facilitate helpdesk operation, such as coverage for co-worker vacation/sick time, transfer-of-operation to next shift, weekend/summer schedule shift coverage and other emergencies.
Associate’s degree required.
Competencies and Skills Required
• Strong communication skills.
• Proficiency in current versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office and other PC products.
• Must be flexible and versatile in work assignments.
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with members of College community.
• Ability to research information and instruct others in researching problems.
• Ability to analyze problems and initiate corrective action.
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
• Must present neat, professional appearance.
• Valid New Jersey Driver’s License required.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
• Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Some travel required.
Union County College is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to maintaining an academic and work environment for students, faculty and staff which is conducive to the achievement of educational and career goals on the basis of ability and performance, and which is free of discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, religion, or marital status.
Terms of Employment
Part Time; position located on the Plainfield Campus. Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on and off- campus sites as needed by the college. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.