Pay Rate Range
Commensurate with Experience
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime.
The Chief Financial Officer will play a critical role in the ability of the University of Utah Health Sciences Center ( UUHSC ) to achieve its innovative vision by providing strategic and sophisticated financial analyses and the creative solutions to bring that vision to reality. The successful candidate will be responsible for not only monitoring and evaluating the financial performance of the organization and its operations through metrics and financial measures but will also work closely with the UUHSC’s executive management team and the Board of Trustees to accomplish financial goals and to achieve maximum operational efficiency by identifying opportunities for performance improvement and providing the tools needed to measure performance accurately.
1. Develops and implements long and short-term financial strategies and programs in support of the Health Sciences Center’s objectives and vision. In particular, oversees long range financial planning and forecasting.
2. Organizes, interprets, and presents relevant financial data, including identification of significant success/problem indicators to the Dean/ CEO , senior management, and the Board of Trustees.
3. Directs the review, analysis, and interpretation of all financial and budget reports. Provides expert and highly developed insight into the analysis of data and the wide range of implications of those analyses on the short and long-term success of the enterprise, proposing options and solutions and guiding the development of strategies.
4. Assumes full responsibility for integration and consolidations of all financial affairs of the Health Sciences Center and in that regard, oversees the work of the entity specific financial officers and others as appropriate.
5. Works closely with other key UUHSC financial leaders including the CFO of the UU Hospitals and Clinics and University counterparts, manages the Health Sciences Center’s banking and investment relationships, and works closely with bond rating agencies.
6. Oversees treasury functions.
7. Oversees internal and external auditing functions.
8. Further develops and maintains Health Sciences Center internal controls and accounting operations, policies, practices, procedures, and systems, in collaboration with main campus.
9. Provides insightful analysis on local, regional, and national trends and business conditions and the implication for program and facility planning.
10. Fully embraces the UUHSC’s mission and culture, in order to ensure a leadership approach that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior and ensures that all activities, programs, and services are conducted with the highest integrity and in a manner that supports the philosophy, mission, and values of the UUHSC .
11. Functions as a visible and engaged leader of the enterprise.
12. Furthers the integration of financial infrastructure across the system in a manner that best supports decision making by the Dean/ CEO , and senior management. This includes working with Information Technology and Strategy leaders to disseminate information across the organization, and leading the development of alternative payment models, risk assessments, and short and long-term financial resource allocation models.
13. Working with University counterparts, manages commercial and investment banking relationships required to meet the Health Sciences Center’s future capital needs. Develops and maintains relationships with key members of the audit/financial/investment community in order to improve an understanding of the organization’s value and future opportunities.
14. Recommends criteria for capital expenditures and actively participates in the capital planning, budgeting, and approval process including the planning for a new School of Medicine building to replace the already existing and outdated 600,000 square foot facility and design an overall campus Master plan.
15. Participates in policy and legislative initiatives that impact UUHSC’s mission, competitive position, and financial well-being.
16. On an ongoing basis, evaluates and improves financial operations and related policies to ensure that they best support an integrated approach to service delivery.
17. Supports various Boards and Committees and provides staff leadership to the key committees of the Board of Trustees.
18. Promotes and supports UUHSC’s programs to enhance the diversity of the workforce and improve the overall education and understanding of all employees.
1. A strong background in and knowledge of academic medical center and school of medicine strategic growth initiatives, finance, and administration gained through a minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible financial leadership experience within an academic medical center with preferably a minimum of five of those years at the corporate level within an AMC and evidenced by leading the strategic financial activities and decisions with a proven track record of enhancing the strategic financial position and operating performance through superior financial and analytical systems.
2. Expertise must have been gained in a complex operating environment preferably with experience in healthcare, academics, and research.
3. A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Accounting or Finance. An MBA and/or CPA are highly desired.
4. Strong strategic, operational, and systems thinking skills.
5. Personal style that highlights confidence and credibility, yet low ego needs.
6. Satisfaction achieved through institutional growth and success rather than personal recognition or kudos.
7. Very strong financial, analytical, and problem solving skills.
8. Ability to translate strategic organizational and operational issues into understandable and meaningful solutions.
9. Ability to work across institutional boundaries to achieve change or results.
10. Flexible and open-minded, yet able to stand his/her ground when necessary.
11. An action-oriented leader, who translates findings into plans for improvement.
12. An outgoing and collaborative style that fosters cooperation and involvement.
13. Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
14. The ability to serve as the sounding board, confidante, and business partner for the Dean and CEO on matters related to all phases of the business.
15. A thought leader on the future payment, reimbursement and funding systems, and finance; the successful candidate must be extremely bright and creative. Strong business acumen with a broad and deep repertoire of financial knowledge and skills and an excellent track record of achievement in a high growth and complex environment.
16. Demonstrated experience identifying emerging issues, opportunities, and threats; and initiating actions to ensure that UUHSC’s financial condition serves as an underpinning of its ability to achieve its strategic objectives.
17. The ability to lead his/her team in viewing their financial management activities as strategic components of UUHSC’s overall business strategy.
18. Must be growth-oriented and agile thinking, with the capability to create a solid financial plan that anchors the overall development strategy of the organization. The individual must have a strong understanding of value creation, return on capital, and balance sheet management.
19. Well versed in the use of technology to improve financial operations, as well as to inform financial decisions, using business intelligence tools, data warehousing, etc.
20. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Emphasizes the positive and provides clear direction with a results-oriented cycle, both within and outside the organization. Can credibly influence senior management, faculty, and key decision makers; an individual who is a persuasive change agent/leader.
21. Demonstrated leadership skills. Must have the interpersonal skills and charisma to bring diverse constituencies and teams together in pursuit of common goals. Ability to prioritize among competing demands.
22. Ability to grow and develop talent, mentor direct reports, and build capacity and depth within the Finance organization.
The successful candidate must bring intellectual, professional, and personal values that complement the existing University of Utah Health Sciences Center culture and management team. Certain characteristics will be vital:
1. A strong commitment to the mission of the University of Utah Health Sciences Center; he/she respects and supports the needs of clinicians, educators, and researchers.
2. Honest, with the highest ethical standards and integrity.
3. Ability to work independently. Self-starter; hard worker.
4. Smart, engaging and contemplative, with high energy and the ability keep issues in perspective.
5. Personally accountable. Assumes ownership, control, and accountability for all areas of responsibility and commitments made to others.
6. Sincere, open, and direct communicator, an individual who values and thrives in an environment of transparency. Puts organizational interests above self-interests and is comfortable in expressing candid opinions.
7. Passionate, collaborative, strategic, and smart. A strong intellect that is combined with a practical and realistic common sense understanding of how to get things done.
8. Hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves orientation.
9. A personal presence, maturity, and style to be effective cultivating and maintaining high-level relationships (gravitas).
10. A team player that is able to work in a fast-paced, high growth environment.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Special Instructions Summary
DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ON THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH JOB BOARD .
Please email resumes to:
Lyn Brennan, Partner
Alyssa Jakmas, Associate
In the subject line of your email, please state “From U of U posting.”
Set in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountain Range, the University of Utah’s educational habitat provides breathtaking views of the...