• Under general guidance of a manager, relies on extensive experience, wide technical knowledge, and judgment to plan and accomplish tasks and goals.
• Install, customize, implement, and take full advantage of the operating system and/or major components in an Unix/Linux environment in a multiple hardware platform environment including IBM System z, IBM System p, Sun, and Intel.
• Provide 24x7 on-call system support using pager or cell phone provided by company
• Detects, report, analyze, diagnose, and resolve system problems
• Coordinate and participates in activities to diagnose and resolve complicated cross technology problems
• Maintain state of the art knowledge of Unix/Linux based operating system
• Provide skill transfer to staff.
• Working independently, build customized project plans; or use pre-established project and communication templates to build project plans; develop project task list, establish milestones and target dates, facilitate meetings, and execute assigned project tasks.
• Using good judgment, escalate political and/or sensitive issues of projects to manager
• Develop and manage cross department/division/company projects
• Provide consultation on complex projects.
• Provide periodic status reports on projects and tasks as determined by supervisor or manager
• Assist other departments, divisions, and companies in the use of the operating system and other system components
• Bachelor degree in/or related to Computer Science + 6 years Unix Administration experience
10 years Unix Administration experience
• Experience installing and supporting zVM and Linux on z (System z virtualization environment)
• Rounded understanding of the operating system (zVM, AIX, Solaris, various Linux) and its major components
• Experience installing and supporting a wide range of Unix/Linux software
• Strong ability to work with others in a team environment
• Ability to work independently to meet personal and departmental goals
• Ability to use business analysis techniques to determine user requirements
• Ability to be on call 24x7 to support system software products
• Prior experience using IBM TSM backup/restore solution.
• Experience supporting Open Source environments i.e. LAMP, Pentaho BI, etc.
Time Inc. - 17 months ago