Under direct supervision, performs a variety of office support and/or secretarial duties for a specified department, such as composing and word processing a variety of standard documents and correspondence, relaying and resolving routine telephone and/or walk-up inquiries, scheduling calendar items and meetings, making travel arrangements, processing forms, performing data entry, and establishing and maintaining records. Edits and proofreads documents to ensure accuracy. May perform duties involving simple mathematical calculations.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
High school diploma or GED with 1 to 3 years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs a wide variety of typing assignments which are sometimes confidential in nature; operates personal computer to enter data, draft, edit, revise, and print letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
2. Greets and directs visitors, as and when appropriate; resolves routine administrative problems and answers inquiries concerning activities and operations of department/division; accepts, screens, and routes telephone calls.
3. Performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities; may serve as a liaison with other departments on basic administrative and/or operational matters.
4. Sorts, screens, and distributes incoming and outgoing mail; drafts or prepares responses to routine inquiries; prepares photocopies and facsimiles, and operates a variety of office equipment.
5. Establishes, maintains, processes, and updates files, records, certificates, and/or other documents.
6. Arranges meetings and conferences, schedules interviews and appointments, and performs other duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules; makes travel and lodging arrangements, either directly or through travel agencies.
7. Orders, stocks, and distributes office supplies.
8. Performs basic, routine bookkeeping functions, which may involve simple billing and cash receipt activities.
9. May instruct and oversee the activities of student employees performing the same type of work.
10. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Records maintenance skills.
· Word processing and/or data entry skills.
· Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
· Organizing and coordinating skills.
· Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
· Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
· Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment.
· Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
· Receptionist skills.
· Ability to perform simple accounting procedures.
Position requires: a) routine secretarial work to include maintaining calendars, typing of various forms, and scheduling appointments; b) composing routine correspondence and proofreading and editing correspondence/materials; c) ordering, distributing and maintaining office supplies; d) word processing and spreadsheet duties utilizing personal computer or typewriter; e) utilization of various software packages and office equipment necessary for completion of clerical tasks.
Education Corporation of America - 2 years ago