Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Virulence Mechanisms Branch (VMB) of the Division of Virulence Assessment (DVA), Office of Applied Research and Safety Assessment (OARSA), Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN). The incumbent will be responsible for conducting research on foodborne pathogens of importance to FDA.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-FDA-CSAN-MP-13-839668 under merit promotion procedures (current or former Federal employees in the competitive service and applicants eligible under the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies. KEY REQUIREMENTS
Suitability for Federal employment determined by background investigation
May be required to serve a one-year probationary period
This job announcement is subject to Peer Review prior to final selection. DUTIES:
Develops, implements, and manages all phases of research projects.
Establishes nematode models (e.g., C.elegans) used to assess the virulence potential of foodborne bacterial pathogens and toxins.
Analyzes experimental data and writes scientific manuscripts for publication.
Presents research results at seminars and meetings. QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Applicants must demonstrate that they meet both the basic AND the specialized experience requirement as noted below:
BASIC REQUIREMENT: You must possess a four-year degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position; OR possess a c ombination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. (You must submit transcript at time of application submission).
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT:
GS-13: You must h ave one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-12 in the Federal service, conducting biological research on foodborne pathogens; implementing new methods and models in the biological sciences (e.g., nematode assays); presenting experimental data; and writing scientific reports on research results.
You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Degree requirements must be met within 30 days of the closing date of this job announcement and your transcript(s) submitted must reflect this.
Failure to provide any of the above will result in an ineligible rating.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education
All other qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees . Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: No
11. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
12. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Qualified candidates will be assigned to the following quality categories:
Best Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most requirements of the position.
Well Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and meets most requirements of the position.
Qualified - Meet the minimum qualification requirements, but does not possess the relevant competencies to a substantive degree.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the required competencies listed below for this position.
Application of Veterans' Preference: Under Category Rating procedures, veteran preference eligibles will receive selection consideration before non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Foodborne pathogens research
- C.elegans analysis
- Research procedures
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link: View Assessment Questions
The Federal government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.opm.gov/retire/retire_jobseekers.asp . OTHER INFORMATION:
Veterans' Preference: If you are a veteran claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) or an official statement (including Character of Service) from your command if currently on active duty. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, in addition to the DD-214, you must also submit a Standard Form 15 (Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference) and the required supporting documents listed on that form. For more information on veterans' preference see www.fedshirevets.gov .
Career Transition Program: This program applies to Federal workers whose positions have been deemed 'surplus' or no longer needed, or an employee has been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service. To receive selection priority for this position, you must be rated 'well-qualified. Well-qualified means eligible applicants whose knowledge, skills, and abilities clearly exceed the minimum qualification requirements of the position. For information on how to apply and what documents to submit as a CTAP/ICTAP eligible, go to: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp
Selective Service: The Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that all male applicants born after 12/31/59 who are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, be registered or they are not eligible for appointment to this position. For further information concerning Selective Service requirements, please visit http://www.sss.gov/ .
usajobs.gov - 2 years ago
Indian Health Service's mission is to provide health care and related services for American Indian and Alaska Natives, as well as their...