Pharmacy Technician II, Billing Services
Requisition Number: 6351
Employment Type: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday Location Name: Business Services Building
City: SALT LAKE CITY
Department: UUH ISC 11C RX BILLING SRVCS
As a patient-focused organization, the University of Utah Health Care exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health Care seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission.
This position provides the technical functions associated with the delivery of clinical pharmacy services by maintaining proper stock levels in all pharmacy locations, compounding or otherwise preparing, filling, pricing, and delivering pharmaceuticals or other related items. The incumbent may perform duties such as entering prescriptions, completing reports, operating and maintaining automated dispensing devices, inputting computer data, and providing all aspects of customer service that are required to provide Pharmacy Department services. This position completes the essential functions of the job under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist.
As a Pharmacy Technician II, this position provides advanced services such as IV therapy, preparation of chemotherapy, maintenance of automated dispensing machines, narcotic coordination, investigational drug therapy, billing/coding. Technician II incumbents are expected to plan, coordinate, and implement training programs for other staff. Technician IIs have a higher level of responsibility for departmental and organizational problem solving.
- Assists the pharmacist in advanced tasks associated with patient care.
- Effectively manage supplies of the department.
- Problem solves operational issues within the department and organization related to the medication use process.
- Assists in education and training of staff and other trainees.
Collect and review data for accuracy
Review and respond to all audits within the required time frames
Identify areas of financial risk
Use resources and systems to track and improve efficiencies
Track and report audit results, financial risk and progress
Assists with scheduling needs
Develop training material and present to staff
Communication with colleagues, patients and other health care professionals
Effective time management
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined above.
- Ability to provide care appropriate to the population served.
- Familiarity with medical terminology.
- May determine options from a variety of pre-established departmental policies and procedures, but cannot act outside of these unless authorized to do so by a Pharmacist.
- May vary work routines according to patient care priorities.
- Major problems encountered by incumbents include first line screening for medication order errors, drug or allergy contraindications, and processing non-formulary drug requests.
- Challenges encountered may include problem solving for operation and maintenance of all automated systems in the Pharmacy Department.
- Performing the essential duties of this position may involve standing for extended periods of time and/or handling heavy or bulky supply containers.
- Knowledge and ability to perform mathematical calculations for extemporaneous compounding and special dose preparation, rectifying drug distribution errors, reconciling billing and administration records, etc.
All of the following license(s)
- At least four years experience as a Pharmacy Technician.
- Current Pharmacy Technician licensure in the State of Utah.
Familiar with Microsoft Office Programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
University of Utah Health - 10 months ago