THIS POSITION MAY BE LOCATED IN: Concord, Salinas, Fresno, Merced, Eureka, Marysville, Santa Rosa, San Rafael, Oakland, San Francisco, and Richmond.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE: PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to 15 million people in Northern and Central California.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce.
The Customer Field Services organization is a very dynamic team committed to providing quality customer experiences and conducting its business in a safe and efficient manner that creates an injury, illness and loss free work environment. The Field Metering department provides and performs electric meter and gas module installations/changes, gas and electric meter communication troubleshooting, technically challenging metering solutions for commercial, industrial and agricultural customers, and meter accuracy testing in the field.
This is an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
The Meter Maintenance Person position is a physical job that interacts with and performs quality services on behalf of PG&E’s customers. Over the course of a six month training period, they will learn how to install, program, exchange and troubleshoot residential electric meters and gas communication modules related to billing measurement.
This position is a DOT covered classification and is subject to random drug screening.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Must possess a valid California Driver’s License
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
- Ability to work flexible schedules, extended hours, nights, weekends, and/or overtime (scheduled or ad hoc)
- Internal PG&E employees: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Industrial Skills Test (IST) exam prior to applying
- External and Hiring Hall candidates: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Industrial Skills Test (IST) exam prior to interviewing
- 6+ months experience as a Hiring Hall T300 Installer
- 18+ months experience as a Hiring Hall Meter Reader
- Demonstrated experience with electrical wiring
- Demonstrated experience with hand tools (e.g. wrenches, drills, cordless drill/screwdrivers and pliers)
- Technical Certification, Associates or Bachelors degree in Electronics or Electrical Systems
- Install, maintain, read, program, upgrade, replace/change gas meter communication modules and single phase electric meters on residential services
- Operate basic network and metering software, hardware and computer systems
- Identify broken seals, diversion, meter tampering, vandalism, lost meters and other instances of energy theft
- Use hands in a dexterous manner to manipulate various tools and perform repairs as needed
- Conduct Connect/Disconnect switch resets. Turns meter and module radios on and off.
- Turn off and Shut-Off Non Pay (SONP) residential gas and electric single phase self-contained meters; electric turn ons and Restore Lock Non Pay (RLNP).
- Maintain a high standard of employee and public safety, public relations, and personal appearance.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company - 21 months ago
What motivates our workforce of 20,000? Simple: Knowing that 15 million Californians count on us to ensure instant access to energy, 24...