This is a training level position where the incumbent learns to provide services of both a technical and non-technical nature in the laboratory service areas. Works under the direction of a Technician II, Technician III, Problem Resolution Specialist, MLT, Technologist, or a Medical Technologist for the area. Duties include data handling and input, sample handling, preparation of specimens for processing in the laboratory, handling and storage of glassware and reagents, answering the telephone, supply maintenance, and assisting in the performance and documentation of quality control and equipment. Completes the competency exam for Technician II.
This position reports to the Technical Supervisor. This position may also receive direction and work assignments from designated individuals other than the Group Manager or Technical Supervisor.
Those directly reporting to this position are: None
The essential job duties of this position are:
1. Performs and documents quality control and assists with equipment maintenance within predetermined parameters. Does not perform instrument calibration.
2. Understands appropriate specimen collection, handling, and transport.
3. Accurately logs in and processes specimens according to established departmental procedures.
4. Notifies the appropriate supervisor or designated individual of specimens that meet the rejection criteria for inappropriate samples. Resolves the problem at the direction of the appropriate supervisor or designated individual.
5. Prepares, organizes and reviews specimens for run set up according to departmental procedures. Ensures accurate sample order.
6. Answers telephone calls in a timely and courteous manner. Provides verified test results available in the computer as requested to physicians, nurses, clients and laboratorians. Refers problems to an MLT, Technologist, Medical Technologist or supervisor.
7. Prepares reagents and/or media according to laboratory procedures.
8. Maintains work area. Cleans bench tops, and equipment after each spill, and daily at the end of the work shift as required. Documents as required.
9. Stocks and maintains supplies. Notes receipt date on supplies and rotates supplies to insure that the oldest stock is used first. Discards reagents or media with expired outdates and notifies the appropriate supervisor or designated individual.
10. Under supervision, begins training on complex processing procedures defined within department i.e. testing, plating microbiological specimens, staining and grossing.
11. Teaches as defined, in functions for which Technicians are responsible.
12. Meets output measures as defined by individual group procedures. Assists others in areas of defined competency when assigned workload is complete.
Other Functions :This position may also be responsible for the following:
1. Complies with safety and biohazard regulations as outlined in the Laboratory Safety Manual. Failure to follow safety protocols will result in disciplinary action.
2. Attends laboratory meetings and in-services as required.
3. Remains informed of all procedures and procedure changes.
4. Observes principles of data security and patient confidentiality. Maintains ethical standards in the performance of laboratory assignments and in interactions with patients, co-workers and other health care professionals.
5. Maintains open and effective communication with personnel in work teams, and with members of other teams throughout the organization.
6. Demonstrates adaptability by embracing changes in the laboratory with a positive attitude. Provides constructive criticism for modification of laboratory procedures, policies and test/employee scheduling.
7. Demonstrates professional demeanor, in personal appearance and behavior, in all work-related interactions inside and outside of the laboratory.
8. Other duties as assigned. Management retains the discretion to add or change the duties of the position at any time.
High school diploma or equivalent
Must complete competency exam within 6 months.
Physical and other requirements :
Ability to read and understand some anatomy. Good vision and fine motor skills a must.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to work all required overtime and take call as needed.
- Must be able to lift 10 pounds.
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extensive periods of time.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both written and verbal.
- Fine motor coordination.
- Good visual acuity including color perception.
- Ability to organize work, to meet deadlines and to work under stressful condition.
- Absolute integrity in the accurate identification of samples, test performance and reporting of results.
ARUP Laboratories - 3 years ago
copy to clipboard -
The good folks at ARUP Laboratories don't grow pale at the sight of blood. The clinical reference lab performs tens of thousands...