*This is a Field Claims Manager for our National Catastrophe (NATCAT) team. |
Prior commercial property claims experience preferred.
Specializes in the settlement of the most severe and complex personal lines property damage claims and limited commercial property claims including complex time elements and business interruption loss claims. Or may specialize in the handling of personal lines property and limited commercial claims that are in litigation. Promotes and provides "On Your Side" customer service. Responsible for coverage investigation, liability evaluation, negotiation and settlement resolution. For claims that are in litigation, provides direction to defense counsel in the handling of lawsuits.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Claims Manager or Director
1. Handles to conclusion the most severe and complex personal lines property damage claims and limited commercial property claims including complex time elements and business interruption loss claims. May be responsible for personal lines property claims and limited commercial property claims that are in litigation.
2. Plans and implements all time schedules necessary to promptly and effectively conclude all assigned files in accordance with company guidelines.
3. Authorizes and/or approves all claim payments within the highest levels of authority associated with the claim, which may include litigation expense.
4. Prepares/reviews reservation of rights, non-waiver agreements and denials of coverage when appropriate.
5. Opens, closes and adjusts reserves in accordance with Company practices designed to ensure reserve authority. Determines special reserves when necessary.
6. Maintains current knowledge of all insurance lines; court decisions which may impact the claims function; current guidelines in the claims function; and policy changes and modifications. This may require attendance at various seminars or training sessions.
7. Provides consulting and training to claims personnel on claims/litigation policies, practices and procedures.
8. For claims that are in litigation - May use the trial division when appropriate. Assigns cases to outside vendors and counsel as necessary. Submits trial reports, contingent liability reports, reinsurance reports and other information to management as appropriate.
9. Delivers a positive On-Your-Side customer service experience to all internal, external, current and prospective Nationwide customers.
10. Identifies, develops and retains high potential/high performing associates who have the potential for or are ready to fill critical roles in the organization.
11. Responsible for the management of associates including performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience.
Licenses/Designations: State licensing where required. Successful completion of required/applicable claims certification training/classes.
Experience: Eight years claims handling experience of which 3 years preferred handling complex personal lines property damage claims. Prior litigated claims handling preferred.
Knowledge: Extensive knowledge of property damage claims. Proven knowledge of property claims workflow, processing, administrative policy, practices and procedures. Proven knowledge of insurance contracts, construction terminology and property damage. Ability to operate various claims systems and related software.
Skills/Competencies: Proven ability to meet customer needs and provide exemplary service by informing customers of the claims process and ensuring a positive customer experience. Proven analytical skills to make independent decisions and resolve conflict in such areas as application of coverage to submitted claims, application of laws of jurisdiction to investigation facts, application of policy exclusions and exceptions. Proven ability to coordinate defense counsel in the handling of cases involving serious and sometimes complex liability and damage issues from inception through trial. Proven oral and written communication skills for use in communicating with policyholders, claimants, attorneys, physicians and all levels of management. Proven organizational skills to effectively establish work priorities in conformity with objectives and standards. Proven personal computer skill and the ability to operation claims and business software.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above Minimum Job Requirements must be approved by: Business Unit Executive and Human Resources.
Working Conditions: Field claims environment. May be required to operate an automobile and have a valid driver's license with a safe driving record. Must be able to make physical inspections of property loss sites. Must be able to climb ladders, balance at various heights, stoop, and bend and/or crawl to inspect vehicles and structures. Must be able to work out-of- doors in all types of weather. Must be willing to work irregular hours and to travel with possible overnight requirements. May be on-call. Must be available to work catastrophes (CAT) and extended deployments. Extended and/or non-standard hours as required.
Credit/Background Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 18 months ago