Process Controls Engineer II
The Process Controls Engineer - II is responsible for enhancing the profitability of our customers by providing state-of-the-art automation solutions primarily in the Food and Dairy industries. Projects include both retrofits and new systems involving PLC s, industrial computers, process instrumentation, project management and other control devices. This position is responsible for developing materials specification, equipment schedules and PLC and HMI programming. This is accomplished by performing the following duties.
- Manages the day-to-day operational and tactical aspects of multiple small to medium scale projects.
- Implements quality assurance procedures in accordance with our methodology to ensure profitable and successful execution of project as measured by goals and customer satisfaction.Minimizes exposure and risk across multiple projects.Manages scope and mitigates risk across projects.Define project tasks and resource requirements.Develop project plans.Manage project budget.
- Monitor and report on progress of the project to all stakeholders.
- Implement and manage project changes to achieve project deliverables.
- Performing startup tasks.
- Directing co-workers and sub-contractors
- Work with the Purchasing department to order parts.
- Maintaining good customer relationships from project conception, through design, implementation, and support.
- Develop an understanding of the process being controlled and the requirements for completion.
- Setting up, programming, modifying, and maintaining a variety of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), and reporting applications.
- Work with other engineers to insure projects are done one time and in budget.
- Team leads one to three employees in the Engineering Department based on the project assigned.
- Perform service calls on direct projects or other engineer’s projects as company needs.
- Stay current with industry trends. This includes keeping abreast on hardware/software products and their applications, regulation changes, etc., using related web sites, reading periodicals, and attending seminars / events.
- Train other employees on hardware, software, and methods as needed.
- Mentor Process Controls Engineers I and Process Control Techs as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. All of these must be met and a position must be available for the team member to advance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Other work as assigned by manager.
- A degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years related experience with good working knowledge of fluid process control systems using a PLC and HMI architecture.
- Familiarity of food and dairy processes is desirable.
- A proven track record of completing 75% fixed jobs with labor at or below estimated time for 2 years. Individual jobs can be waived at the manager’s discretion.
- Complete 2 projects as project manager leading a team of 1-2 team members that the other team members had more than 80 hours of non-startup time at or below budget.
Highly Skilled with:
- Complete 2 projects as project manager that succeed in delivering a project at or below budget.
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, & Word)
- Microsoft Windows XP & 7
- RS Logix (500, & 5000)
- RS View (ME & SE)
- Industrial Communications in Ethernet and ControlNet, or DeviceNet.
- A moderate skill level with SQL Databases (mySQL, MS SQL, Oracle, etc.)
- Moderate working knowledge of NFPA 70/NEC and UL-508A. Verified by a test.
- Pass Prove It Advanced Level with 70% or better and total test score of 80% or better for:
- Microsoft Excel – Whole Test
- SQL Entry Level
- Pass RS Trainer with total test score of 80% or better for:
- Ethernet IP
- FactoryTalk View ME – Applications and Displays
- RSLogix 5000 Software – Project Configuration
- Experience with 2 or more of the following:
- HTST (Milk or Egg)
- Powered Conveying
- Read, analyze and develop technical procedures, process flow schematics, electrical, instrumentation, and pneumatic.
- Mathematical skills related to algebra, statistical inference, geometry, and trigonometry
- Communicate thoughts, ideas, and other written information, which may be technical in nature, in a logical, coherent, and persuasive manner.
- Ability to troubleshoot moderately complex electrical, instrumentation, and pneumatic systems; in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with other project team members to complete project goals.
- Write functional specifications, sequence of operations, and system installation instructions.
- Lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to occasionally walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision.
- Have a current driver's license.