1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East
1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East is the largest, fastest-growing, most progressive healthcare union in the country, and we are looking for a Communications Specialist to work out of our Baltimore office.
The members of 1199SEIU are driven to achieve affordable, quality healthcare for all and improve the lives of healthcare workers. 1199’s New Organizing department helps healthcare workers join our union so they have a voice for better patient care and jobs. If you want to work in a fast-paced, action-oriented environment, using the latest communications strategies and principles to win social justice for working families, this job is for you.
Supporting the Communications Coordinator and Organizing team
- Work with New Organizing staff to quickly and efficiently accommodate their campaign communications needs.
- Write, edit and produce direct mail, flyers, brochures and other literature.
- Follow through with vendors to ensure purchase order process is followed and bills are paid in a timely manner.
- Help organizers create one page flyers for facility distribution
- Write, edit and distribute press releases, letters to the editor and op-eds.
- When needed, make outreach calls to reporters and cultivate relationships with media.
- Train workers and staff to be effective media spokespeople.
- Write, edit and produce newspaper and radio ads and other paid media.
- Coordinate the placement and payment process for ads.
- Conceptualize, shoot and edit videos or coordinate with outside video vendors to produce campaign videos.
Signage and promotional materials
- Work with designer to create and maintain websites, text messaging campaigns, social networking and other new media.
- Create effective messaging and concepts for signage and promotional materials for our campaigns.
- Coordinate the ordering and payment process for promotional items.
- Coordinate logistics and purchasing for events and press conferences.
1199SEIU is an affirmative action employer- women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Excellent ability to work closely with a team, accommodate requests from team members, and assimilate input from multiple sources.
- Excellent inter-personal skills, an enthusiastic attitude and a commitment to contribute to a positive work environment.
- An ability and commitment to modeling pro-active leadership behavior and skills.
- Deep commitment to the labor movement and progressive causes.
- Excellent visual, written and verbal communications skills.
- BA or higher.
- At least 2 years experience working in communications for a progressive political campaign, non-profit organization or union.
- Proficiency in word and excel and ability to learn media database technology required.
- Experience with design programs, shooting and editing video and taking good quality photos preferred.
- Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, high-pressure and irregular hours.