The Technology Development Engineer will be responsible for conducting multiple development projects. This position will conduct day-to-day project work in the development of new technology within a beverage and consumer appliance company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct literature searches using patent literature, academic journals, and textbooks.
- Design and develop equipment and new technology by conducting experiments.
- Conduct equipment selection, pilot/scale-up tests, factory acceptance testing, process qualification.
- Identify and qualify necessary analytical tools.
- Source and work with external technology development resources in the development and manufacturing of technology.
- Assist Process Development Group Leader in evaluating and qualifying process technology/processing parameters leading to the ability to produce new beverages.
- Design test equipment, experiments, establishment of project timelines, and record findings from experiments.
- Solve specialized technical problems in fields including fluid dynamics, mass transfer, and multiphase flow.
- Partner with other functions including the Product Development Group to develop and test products.
- Communicate technical specifications and problems to outside consultants.
- Develop specifications for the design and manufacturing of technology from bench top through pilot plant/prototype to production scale-up to meet product design requirements.
- Conduct appropriate studies to demonstrate the ability of the product/device to function as intended (i.e. verification and validation process).
- Use statistics based experimentation and principles of process excellence.
- Monitor the performance of processes and equipment and make recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Work with manufacturing to scale-up, validate and transfer the commercial manufacturing process.
OTHER NECESSARY FUNCTIONS:
- Establishment and commitment to project timelines (factory start-up’s and new product rollout’s).
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Food Engineering or Materials Science required.
- Coursework in chemistry/biochemistry required. Food chemistry preferred.
- Experience with a consumer appliance company is highly desirable (includes internships).
- Beverage experience is highly desirable.
- Strong demonstrated experience and interest in one of the following:
- Prototyping (Creating specifications, technical drawing, CAD, machining).
- Translating scientific principles into practical devices/applications.
- Manufacturing processes related to consumer devices.
- Excellent communication skills (technical writing and presentations).
- Experience working with outside vendors is desired.
- A demonstrated understanding and use of statistical methods in experiment design and data analysis.
- Ability to communicate with multiple stakeholders and demonstrate superior communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects within the R&D function.
- She/he will also have experience working on bench top and pilot plant, as well as scale-up to full factory processes, and be able to conduct scientific studies.
- Ability to uphold Safety standards, participates in Continuous Process Improvement on the job, and follow our Manufacturing best practices.
- Ability to follow GMCR policies and procedures as well as our Operating principles.
- Ability to get along with others, be punctual, and follow instructions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to occasionally kneel, squat, bend, and stoop, twist, and reach overhead with repetitive motions within the Research and Development laboratory/pilot plant.
- Ability to frequently be in a sedentary light office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required (at times 67% - 100% of the workday).
- Ability to work in a Research and Development lab/pilot plant with frequent exposure to coffee, burlap, food products (including granulated products), and food science tools. Some exposure to food powders on exposed skin is possible.
- Ability to occasionally travel (twice per month).
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds occasionally.
- Use of hearing, dust, gloves and eye protection as required.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters - 8 months ago
We believe in using the power of business to make the world a better place. Each step on the long road from tree to cup gives us an...