This unique position offers you the opportunity to make a significant and highly visible impact on our organization, playing a key role in a strategic initiative that will transform how we do business . During the first six to eight months you will leverage your advanced SQL and data analysis skills to complete the development of a production management solution for high volume billing; after that, you will transition to a business process / financial analyst role, helping managers identify ways to improve processes. |
You also will expand your skills and experience; for example, while our preference is that you already have both SQL and business / financial analyst experience, as long as your SQL talents are exceptional, we'll train you on the latter. Your success here could set you up to pursue multiple career paths in our company.
American Medical Response (AMR) is the nation's leading manager and provider of medical transportation. AMR provides emergency response and dispatch services, non-emergency transport services, air ambulance services, event medical services, managed transportation services and paramedic and EMT training. AMR is locally operated in 42 states and the District of Columbia. AMR is an Emergency Medical Services Corporation (EMSC) company.
This position is based in our Torrance, CA office and relocation assistance is available to highly qualified candidates. Once you are up to speed and have proven yourself, we also will consider a telecommuting arrangement.
To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
Just as important as your experience and skills will be the following characteristics and competencies:
- A bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, Computer Science, Math or Healthcare related field.
- Five years of experience related to revenue analysis, with a strong emphasis on data analytics.
- Advanced SQL (T-SQL development), MS Access, MS Excel modeling expertise and a demonstrated ability to do MOST of the following:
- Develop custom reports in SQL Management Studio.
- Understand and perform data JOINs, UNION versus UNION ALL.
- Perform NULL handling: COALESCE & Native NULL handling.
- Develop Sub queries using IN, EXISTS, and inline views, WITH syntax, Sub query Factoring/CTE, Views.
- Develop structured queries using functions, stored procedures and packages.
- Pivot data using CASE & PIVOT syntax.
- Develop data modeling using primary and foreign keys, normal forms, table constraints, and link tables.
- Optimize queries through indexes and profiling.
- Leverage triggers, dynamic SQL and materialized views during development and database optimization.
- Develop COMMIT, ROLLBACK and Error Handling transactions.
- Leverage Visual Basic to address custom and complex conditional formatting requirements embedded within a dynamic excel template / report.
- Build advanced Excel models and reports (with multiple embedded pivot tables) using SQL data linkages.
- Leverage VBA to address custom Excel reporting requirements and data update functions.
- Experience with SQL SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) cube development.
- The ability to learn and apply terminology related to medical care, transportation and billing.
- The ability to learn and adhere to regulations and guidelines such as Medicare / Medicaid regulations, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) guidelines, and federal generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- A track record of recommending enhancements for workflow improvement.
Preferred but not required:
- Solid interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and collaborate effectively with others.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in English, including:
- Conveying thoughts in a well-organized, concise manner.
- Using appropriate grammar and punctuation in written documents.
- The ability to perform in a consistently organized manner with strong attention to detail.
- An MBA.
- Working familiarity with:
- Cash flow processes.
- Financial statements such as balance sheets, income statements, statements of retained earnings, statements of cash flow, etc.
- Methods of budget development, time-study analysis and modeling.
- Healthcare experience, ideally in medical billing.
You will become part of our Patient Business Services group and report to the Director of Process Engineering. The Director is leading a major strategic project to build a production management solution for billing; we process millions of tickets annually and this solution will create greater accountability in our decentralized environment, allowing us to track performance and value.
Right off the bat you will work closely with a consultant -- who has done much of the work on the solution, utilizing advanced SQL functions -- in order to transfer knowledge, take over, and build the solution out from there. This is not a hard-core programmer role, but you will rely heavily on your SQL savvy in the first months. During this period you also will provide data analysis and reports in response to ad hoc requests.
As you build out the solution you will acquire a strong grasp not only of the solution but also of our business and key data points. Once the solution is complete, you will be well positioned to support users, troubleshoot issues and make recommendations. At this point the position will transition to more of a Data Analyst / Business Process Analyst role, with an emphasis on financials. For example, a key component of the solution is a robust data warehouse that we use to analyze and manage a million rows of data each month. You will have the expertise to "slice and dice" that data to act as an internal consultant to support important decisions and recommend process improvements.
Note: this is a high level overview of the role. To take a deeper dive into the details, see the Role Specifics tab.
You will assist all levels of the organization with financial measures of revenue and collections and assume responsibility for analyzing and reporting on the operating performance of the Patient Business Services (PBS) department.
More specifically, you will:
Note: this is a detailed description of the role. To get the 30,000 foot view, see the Role Overview tab.
- Review data, reports and statistical information, analyze trends and render adjustments to team priorities and operations to increase effectiveness.
- Assure timely and accurate month end close reporting to Corporate Accounting Department.
- Prepare and present key executive summary analysis to Operations and PBS leadership.
- Prepare and present forecasts, reporting, and analysis including, but not limited to: a) detailed P/L reviews, b) continual review of current processes to identify and implement improvements, c) insights and recommendations for cost savings or profitability improvement strategies.
- Prepare and analyze the periodic management reporting of financial results for assigned functional areas.
- Perform Analysis of Alternatives (AoA), Business Case Analysis (BCA), Cost Benefit Analysis (BCA), and Return on Investment (ROI) studies.
- Perform data validation and process verification to ensure accuracy and appropriateness of reported information, and ensure documentation of all reports and analyses.
- Provide explanation and description of analytical methods and definitions used in analysis and reporting. This will include researching and preparing variance analysis and explanations.
- Lead in the development of comprehensive business / financial forecasts, reports, and analysis in support of assigned organization or work area.
- Assist with directing and administering the compilation, analysis, validation, and dissemination of healthcare information.
- Prepare journal entries related to assigned functional responsibilities.
- Serve as a resource to the team on analytical methods and financial measures used to complete analysis.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on the performance of revenues and collections.
- Participate in PBS budget preparation and provide reviews with PBS and division management.
- Assume responsibility for month-end, quarter-end and year-end close for assigned functional areas.
- Complete and submit Consolidation and Reporting Deliverables.
- Communicate routinely with Supervisors relating to financial close, issues and deliverables.
- Collaborate and / or coordinate special projects with AMR Operations, Finance, and Corporate Accounting.
- Research and resolve Business Unit inquiries for assigned functional areas.
- Review and research accounting issues.
- Develop new reports and models as needed.
- Develop position papers, policy memos, and standard operating procedures.
- Identify process improvements to generate efficiencies and improve the quality of these processes.
- Provide continuous improvement of data collection, analytical processes and procedures.
- Coordinate and provide assistance with internal and external audits.
- Represent PBS and / or assigned department on committees, work groups, or task forces and attend pertinent functions, as requested.
- Complete special projects as assigned, including but not limited to projects to improve efficiency and performance.
- Cross train as back up for other staff.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Adhere to and comply with Information Systems security, know and follow Information Systems security policies and procedures, attend Information Systems security training and report Information Systems security problems.
High visibility impact -- far from simply generating reports that go to users you don't know and are used for purposes that you're not aware of, you will work closely with PBS management and help shape certain production activities. You'll be a "big fish in a medium pond," and put your signature on this important solution.
Professional development, flexible environment -- you will continue to expand your experience and knowledge in the technical, financial and operational arenas, building a valuable skillset that will set you up for a long and rewarding career with AMR. We'll look to you to achieve your goals independently, providing support when you need it and "elbow room" when you don't.
Innovation and growth -- you will be an innovator in an organization that understands that innovation is essential to success. For example, in 2012 AMR completed implementation of the largest electronic patient care reporting system (ePCR) for emergency medical services in the nation. That kind of leading-edge thinking has helped us become the nation's largest, and we're still growing. For instance, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) recently awarded AMR a national EMS Disaster contract covering all four FEMA zones for all 48 States in the contiguous US.
A Mission and values that inspire -- our mission is to make a difference by caring for people in need, and our values are Patient Focused . . . Customer Centered . . . Caregiver Inspired.
A culture that cares -- AMR employees have big hearts. From coast to coast, when our neighbors are in need, AMR employees give back to their communities. For example:
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive, AMR offers a comprehensive benefits package with flexibility and freedom of choice. Offers may include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 401(k) with a company match, PTO, holiday pay, tuition reimbursement and more.
- In Southern California, more than 58,000 students have graduated from our award-winning Jr. Paramedic program, which teaches kids 9-1-1 awareness and basic first aid.
- In Seattle, our Hot-Shot van presents seatbelt, booster seat, and bicycle and gun safety to elementary age students, and provides our elderly neighbors with flu shots.
- In Colorado, we provide free medical transportation to any local destination, a hospice patient desires, as part of our award winning ‘Sentimental Journey’ program.
- Many AMR operations share the joy of being “Home for the Holidays,” as our caregivers take nursing home patients home to their loved ones on Thanksgiving and Christmas, free of charge.
- Developing nations, like Panama and the Children of Chernobyl in the Ukraine, are supported by AMR with donations of used ambulances.
- And much, much more.
Keys to Success
We're looking for a professional who can hit the ground running with regard to SQL and drive the project to meet aggressive timelines. There will be lots to learn and do, and you'll need to dive in fearlessly, look challenges in the eye, drive results and keep moving forward. While your technical expertise will be essential, just as important will be the "emotional intelligence" to work effectively with a variety of personalities at various levels of the organization.
To excel in this role you will:
- Work in a spirit of teamwork and cooperation.
- Convey a sense of competence and commitment.
- Use initiative to learn new skills, enhance personal knowledge and improve communications.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate well with a variety of people, including customers, facilities personnel, AMR Operations, payors and others.
- Communicate a willingness to help others succeed.
- Share workspace and resources as necessary.
The nation’s leading medical transportation company
AMR’s national reach and extensive experience allows us to deliver a wide range of services to communities nationwide, from managing entire emergency medical systems to private-public partnerships that best serve an area's needs. Consider:
- AMR serves more communities and customers than any other private ambulance service provider in the nation.
- AMR employees also participate in the communities where they live and work. As medical service providers and as neighbors, your needs are our concerns.
- Nearly 17,000 paramedics, emergency medical technicians (EMTs), nurses, doctors and support staff combine to makeup the strength of a national company with personalized care.
- AMR’s national headquarters is located in Greenwood Village, Colo. AMR provides services to more than 2,100 communities across the nation. From Miami to Seattle and hundreds of communities in between, AMR is ready to care for people and communities in need.
- Our focus is clear, as stated in our company's values: Patient Focused, Customer Centered, and Caregiver Inspired. We strive to embrace these values on every call we respond to, in every community we work in, and on every day of the year.
- From emergency 9-1-1 calls and non-emergency transports to specialized medical teams that serve remote wilderness areas and more, AMR has the strength to provide patients and customers with the right service at the right time.
Decision Toolbox - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard
Billing Coordinator 1
American Medical Response
Marina del Rey, CA
American Medical Response
- 2 days ago