As a Driller I with Terracon you will act as an assistant to Drillers. This is an entry level position designed to train the individual in the various aspects of becoming a driller. You will act as an assistant to help the driller more easily perform drilling tasks; work as part of a two-person team to perform field tasks including site layout, soil boring and sampling, obtaining water levels and installing observation wells under the direction of department head or project manager. Perform maintenance tasks as requested.
Reports to: Department Manager or Office Manager
Position Supervises: None
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Drives medium duty trucks to various job sites as directed by supervisor. Performs required boring layout and elevations for projects.
- Learn to read drawings so required boring layout can be performed. Training on basic survey and leveling equipment will also be performed.
- Familiarize and learn the different types of augers and bits used during the drilling process. Become familiar with the basic operation of the drilling equipment with emphasis on “Kill Switches”.
- Trained in the duties that pertain to performing test borings and installation of groundwater monitoring wells.
- Performs duties assigned by rig foreman that pertain to performing test borings and installation of groundwater monitoring wells.
- Loads appropriate drilling sampling and well installation tools and supplies onto trucks or drill rigs as directed by supervisor.
- Performs preventative maintenance tasks as assigned by supervisors and prepares documentation.
- Performs miscellaneous maintenance duties in field or shop as directed by supervisors.
- Complete safety orientation program.
- Abide by safety and personal protective equipment policies.
- Demonstrate safe work practices and avoid unsafe behaviors.
- Drive defensively, avoid preventable accidents and always wear a seat belt.
- Attend regularly scheduled safety training.
- Report all unsafe conditions to your Supervisor.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; or smell. The employee frequently is required to walk; sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Position requires a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, and is subject to DOT drug testing requirements.
- Be willing and able to successfully obtain a commercial driver’s license and participate in medical monitoring program.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Overnight travel may be required with this position.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Entry level position.
- Valid driver’s license with the intent to procure a valid commercial license within 90 days.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
In our efforts to maintain a safe and drug-free workplace, Terracon requires that candidates complete a satisfactory criminal background check and pass a drug screen prior to employment.
**No Recruiters/Agencies Please**
Terracon - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard -
Employee-owned Terracon Consultants provides geotechnical, environmental, construction material evaluation, pavement engineering and...