Freelancers Union is building a new economy for the new workforce. A national membership organization serving and connecting the nation's 42 million independent workers, we're a social-purpose enterprise built to sustainably serve generations to come.
We believe all workers should have the freedom to build meaningful, connected, entrepreneurial, and independent lives. We offer health, life, disability, and dental insurance, as well as discounts and other resources, to freelancers, consultants, temps, part-timers, and the self-employed. We're driving a movement by working with freelancers to build power in markets and in politics.
And we are builders first – collaborative, friendly, open-minded, adaptable, creative, and action-oriented. We're looking for people who share those qualities. We work in a fast-paced and fun environment, and we're constantly exploring interesting new ideas.
We are seeking a talented Systems Administrator with strong innate troubleshooting skills who is ready to take on whatever challenges come along. The Systems Administrator will have the opportunity and responsibility to quickly learn new skills and adapt to new challenges as they arise.
What you'd be doing:
· Installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of Linux systems
· Installation and deployment of physical and virtual machines
· Maintenance and troubleshooting of VMware ESX infrastructure
· Configuration and deployment of open source web applications
· Deployment of in-house applications
· System maintenance of database servers
· NAS setup and maintenance
· Taking personal responsibility for the health and operation of the environment
Experience and skills you need to have:
· 3-5 years of hands-on Linux system administration experience, including familiarity with Debian and Red Hat
· Experience with VMware ESX, backup, recovery, and clustering
· Applied knowledge of system security and best practices
· Active working knowledge of Bash (advanced scripting experience a plus)
· Experience with Apache configuration and maintenance
· Active working knowledge of regular expressions
· Experience with Subversion (Hudson and Mantis a plus)
· Experience maintaining PostgreSQL and MySQL
· SAN/NAS (NetApp)
· Active working knowledge of OSI networking model, routing, ARP, DNS, and VPN
· A passion for writing good technical documentation
· Strong troubleshooting and critical thinking skills
· Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment and exhibit grace under pressure
· Self-motivated, able to remain productive and finish assignments on time with minimal oversight
· Detail-oriented with the discipline to do day-to-day tasks quickly and competently
· Good verbal and written communication skills
Experience and skills we'd like you to have:
· Experience with Windows 2003 AD, GPOs, automated software installation, and Linux auth integration
· Experience with automated monitoring of systems and network equipment (experience with the following software/technologies preferred: Nagios, Syslog, Splunk, Cactl, and SNMP)
· Ability to help debug Python, PHP, Perl
· Experience with Cisco network equipment (IOS, ASA)
· Experience with VPN troubleshooting
· Experience with automated installation and configuration (cfengine, puppet, chef, debian-installer, fai, custom systems)
· Experience with Java application deployment and maintenance with JRockit, Tomcat, and JBoss
· Experience with Kerio mail servers
· Experience with reverse proxying webservers
· Experience with compliance (HIPAA and/or PCI)
· Experience dealing with enterprise vendors
· Experience with NSD
More about us:
Independent workers comprise 30% of the U.S. workforce – and growing – but lack many of the basic supports and protections that traditional employees get. We aim to change that for our 200,000 members, and for the 42 million independent workers nationwide. Oh, and we're also the people behind all those ads with the beehive that you see on the New York City subways.
Like we said, we're not typical. We think of ourselves as "practical revolutionaries" – people who have extraordinary vision and want to make significant change, but can also put big, lofty ideas into tangible action. We believe strongly in solidarity, both for our staff and for the freelance community. For more information about us and what we do, please visit www.freelancersunion.org.
Our office is in DUMBO, the first stop into Brooklyn on the A, C, or F subway lines.
idealist.org - 17 months ago