Sr. Systems Engineer
Responsibilities in the Americas and through close collaboration with our global Internet infrastructure teams.
- This is a multi-faceted role primarily focused on Linux sysadmin activities but requiring a strong foundation with advanced skills in network administration.
- Primary day-to-day tasks include technical support and troubleshooting for existing backend systems supporting primarily the Americas region and for a predominantly Linux based environment during PST workday (no on-call nor weekends). It includes both Dev and public facing environments.
- Working with Nokia colleagues to help define technical solutions and develop work plans supporting mid and short term mobile technology projects. Keeping task lists for both communicating effort and tracking delivery of solutions.
- Hands on technology evaluation.
Must like hardware.
- Deploy system solutions for physical and virtual environment.
- Develop tactical system automation solutions to drive standardization in a non-standard environment using new and/or existing tools types (puppet, CF-Engine, chef).
- Working mostly, but not exclusively, with open source software.
- Contributes to network systems design in web centric data center and collocation facilities.
- Has primary accountability for system availability, change management and configuration management as relates to regional network systems.
- Acts as primary contact for troubleshooting problems, escalating issues as required.
- Develops material takeoff plans, works with existing procurement processes and coordinates logistics of implementation in a timely fashion.
- Troubleshoot systems including resolving hardware, software and other deeper configuration issues in a timely fashion.
- Monitor all systems and implement best practices and procedures using open source tool set (MRTG, Cricket, Nagios, Traverse, etc.).
- Strong inter-personal and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Works collaboratively with other technical staff to support operations and provide effort
towards new growth projects globally, specifically in network technologies
- Strong customer orientation, both internally and externally.
- Strong system admin technical experience, preferably in previous start-up environments and supporting end-to-end solutions.
- Desire to learn new technologies (passion, not budding interest) commonly found in data center centric implementations.
- Must be a self-starter with demonstrated ability to lead a project from conception to completion. SLAs and standardization are equally important to having the desire and interest in deploying and maintaining multiple non-standard backend solutions. This is not a production e-commerce site, however skills developed in that environment are helpful.
- Recent experience with Apache, Tomcat and MySQL administration. Understanding of change management solutions (Puppet, Chef, CF-Engine).
Comfortable in both L2/L3 architecture and configuration.
Must possess solid understanding of IP, OSPF, BGP, VLAN, VPN solutions; public/private addressing and typical local and wide area networking protocols and technologies to support a fully functioning public site.
- 5+ years experience interacting with (or managing) Linux (CentOS/RHEL/Debian) systems.
- Prefer recent experience interacting with private/public grid environments (Amazon AWS, GoGrid, VMWare, Eucalyptus, Cloud.com, Abiquo, OpenVZ or similar).
- Prefer production deployment experience with TCP/IP, HTTP, JAVA, SMTP, BIND, SSH, SSL and others using Linux.
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in software engineering (SDLC), secure systems design and scalable fault tolerant web architectures.
- Ability to program fluently in one or more scripting language (shell, c++, objective-c, etc).
- Experience with monitoring systems (SolarWinds, App Dynamics, Zabbix, Nagios) a plus.
- Positive, self-motivated, innovative, adaptable, agreeable personality.
Research & Development
Nokia is one of the world's leading makers of cell phones. First incorporated in the Finnish city it's named after, Nokia's business...