Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college or university, as well as a minimum of 2 years of related oncology nursing experience required.
Must have current nursing license.
SUMMARY: Performs a wide variety of duties involving the clinical care of patients receiving radiation therapy treatments and to support the clinical duties of the center Medical Director. Works with the physician in assessing the new, current and follow-up patients for radiation oncology.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Completes patient assessments with patient consultations; including assessing patients for radiation therapy side effects and provides appropriate nursing interventions. May be required to perform laboratory functions such as blood/specimen collection.
2. Educates patients and family members regarding their specific diagnosis, treatment and ways to minimize side effects. Provides emotional support to patients and families and makes appropriate referrals to community and hospital support services, such as social work, home care, ACS, etc., as needed. This would include managing hospital admissions.
3. Assists in coordinating the scheduling of patient consultations, simulations and follow-up visits. Assists with scheduling of required outpatient lab tests, x-rays, scans, etc. as needed.
4. Works with the radiation oncologist on all patient care, follow-up, and medical management and overall assistance of the radiation oncologist. Assists physicians during patient exams and procedures performed in the department.
5. Maintains comprehensive and accurate records of all patient activities, including exams, diagnostic testing, medications, infusions, injections, etc.
6. Oversees the maintenance and care of examination equipment and supplies. Maintains stock levels of supplies and materials, checks for outdates, and ensures complete and organized stocking of the center exam rooms.
7. Coordinates and directs center support groups and screening efforts.
Alliance HealthCare Services - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard