Assist Executive Chef and replace in absence. Manage kitchen and personnel, coordinate purchase of food, develop menus, calculate monthly transfers, and maintain approved food and labor costs.
1. Position will be responsible for the kitchen in Executive Chef's absence.
2. Prepare production lists concerning food cost controls and supervise requisitioning of food to prevent stockpiling and losses due to spoilage; actively supervise buffets, buffet presentation and showpieces.
3. Assist with building and maintaining in-house menu specifications and maintain appropriate menu and banquet file.
4. Recommend hiring, separation and issuance of disciplinary action as required.
5. Establish economical methods of preparation for cooking and portioning standards and oversee all cooking operations.
6. Oversee preparation of foods, bear responsibility for final food product served, physical working conditions, kitchen tools and equipment. Responsible for hygiene, safety and sanitary conditions for back-of-the-house.
7. Coordinate inter-departmental correspondence and communications with regard to food department.
8. Keep abreast of culinary market - involvement in professional organizations and education of externs and apprentices.
9. In absence of the Executive Chef, supervise standardization of all recipes, costs and procedures controlling food transfers and issues. Generate credit documents for accounting purposes.
10. Provide for individual dietary/nutritional requirements. Assist sales and catering coordinators in culinary bookings.
11. Assist in annual budgeting process.
12. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must be able to prep food products, using standardized food preparation techniques.
2. Apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
3. Compute discount, interest, profit and loss; commission, markups and selling price; ratio and proportion, and percentages. Calculate surface, volumes, weights and measures.
4. Read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc. Write reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Speak with poise, voice control, and confidence, using correct grammar.
5. Determine time, place, sequence of operation/action to take; Supervise by determining/interpreting procedures for a group of workers, assigning specific duties, maintaining harmonious relations and promoting efficiency.
Certification of culinary training or Culinary Arts Degree. Apprenticeship and/or AOS Degree.
Minimum 3 to 5 years in a supervisory position; 8 -10 years in Kitchen operation. Prefer Level-4 hotel experience as Banquet Chef and Sous Chef. Experience working all stations, banquets, managing labor and food costs; OR an equivalent level of education and experience.
In compliance with Federal and State equal employment opportunity laws, John Q Hammons Hotels is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.