The mission of the United States Air Force is to
in air, space and cyberspace.
To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values --
integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
This is an interdisciplinary position and may be filled as any of the following:
GS-0854-13, Computer Engineer
GS-0855-13, Electronics Engineer
GS-1550-13, Computer Scientist
WHO MAY APPLY:
for more information.
You MUST have one or more identified eligibilities in order to be considered.
**Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list**
Air Force Employee (Current, Permanent, Competitive Service, Career/Career-Conditional Employee)
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a SECRET security clearance
- Financial Statement is required
- TDY is required
- THIS POSITION DOES HAVE A POSITIVE EDUCATION REQUIREMENT
Back to top
The primary purpose of this position is to
provide expert Computer engineering expertise to support definition and evaluation of computer software/hardware system requirements, with particular attention paid to system engineering technologies such as sizing and performance, electronic commerce and common operating environments in support of the Air Force standard base-level mission.
The duties will include research and development work to evolve new methods and techniques to respond to problems arising from the use and integration of Air Force, DoD and Joint information technology systems.
Functions as a senior technical expert engineer in systems development involving extremely complex communications-computer systems (C-CS) architectures for the combat support systems; Plans, organizes, and oversees all engineering tasks in support of contractual activities that acquire new or modified combat support information systems in accordance with DoD acquisition guidelines.
Reviews and directs the progress of contractors in meeting program objectives.
Provides expert recommendations to establish, improve, and/or change directives, regulations, operating instructions, policies, processes, and procedures within the area of assigned responsibility.
Participates in and/or leads conferences, meetings, and demonstrations within the Squadron, Wing, other AF organizations, other DoD agencies, and private industry facilities to exchange technical and program information, to coordinate engineering project requirements, to provide project technical/budget/schedule status, to make engineering commitments and decision, and to make technical recommendations for assigned projects.
Back to top
At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-12) or equivalent.
Specialized experience must include using m
astery of electronics and computer engineering theory, principles, modern systems engineering and hardware/software design practices and processes, including CMM and CMMI to enable the incumbent to accomplish system modifications and upgrades to create new configurations with required capabilities; mastery of modern verification, validation and quality assurance practices, to include testing techniques, to enable the engineer to devise complex test programs, to judge the worthiness of proposed quality programs and test methods, to innovate new or revised quality programs or tests and to defend existing programs and tests where they are deemed adequate and necessary.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
FOR SERIES 0854 (COMPUTER ENGINEER), 0855 (ELECTRONICS ENGINEER) AND
1550 (COMPUTER SCIENTIST)
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
FOR SERIES 0854 (COMPUTER ENGINEER) AND 0855 (ELECTRONICS ENGINEER)
FOR SERIES 1550 (COMPUTER SCIENTIST)
This position does have a positive education requirement
Your Official Personnel Folder (OPF) must contain transcripts that list the appropriate academic field (e.g., biology, mechanical engineering, economics, sociology, etc.) and all courses you have taken (including those failed) which appear to satisfy the qualification requirements of this position for which you are applying.
Education is qualifying only in those instances where the education is directly related to the position being filled.
(TIG) Requirement for General Schedule (GS) Positions:
Applicants must have served at least 52 weeks at the GS-12 or higher grade (or equivalent in an alternate pay system) within the Federal Civil Service to be considered for referral.
The purpose of TIG restrictions is to prevent excessively rapid promotions in competitive service GS positions and to protect competitive principles.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of laws, principles, policies, and practices of combat information systems/software acquisition and test management.
2. Knowledge of the latest advances in Computer engineering theories, research, methods, principles, and techniques from private industry, research organizations, and the federal government management to include knowledge of modern software and systems engineering design practices, development, and test processes and standards.
3. Knowledge of the missions, roles, functions, organizational structures, and operation of the Department of Defense, Air Force, and other entities that govern, interface with, and/or influence the systems acquisition process and integrated life cycle management.
4. Knowledge of military and industry processes and standards for IT, hardware and software (such as CMM, CMMI, ISO and IEEE) and knowledge of engineering concepts, methods, and principles for IT systems to include broad knowledge of Relational Data Bases and combat support applications and architectures.
5. Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, clearly, concisely, and with technical accuracy to make recommendations to higher organizational management and contractors.
6. Skilled in application of system hardware and software engineering knowledge to understand/solve practical problems including their interaction and interdependencies.
Knowledge to include Microsoft Visual Studio Dot Net, Java 2, Enterprise Eddition (J2EE), Java Debuger (JDB), SQL, Oracle databases, SAS, and Cognos. Knowledge in the application of mature and emerging net-centric technologies including, but not limited to, HTML, Java, Java Server Pages, AJAX, SQL Server, Oracle RDHMS, Oracle Application Servers, Oracle Applications, etc.
7. Skilled in project management and engineering technical management techniques, principles, and practices.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE
Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work.
You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY?
provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional
education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
A degree in Electronic or Computer Engineering is required, being generally focused on principles, applications and technologies of computing with an emphasis on data, data structures, user interfaces, usability and test engineering.
2. This position has been designated as an acquisition position and is covered by the Acquisition Professional Development Program (APDP).
3. The employee must meet, or be capable of meeting, Defense Acquisition Work Improvement Act (DAWIA) requirements applicable to the duties of the position.
4. The work requires the employee to occasionally travel away from the normal duty station via military or commercial aircraft.
5. Employee may be required to work overtime.
6. Employee is expected to meet Continuing Acquisition Education requirements.
7. Employee must obtain and maintain an appropriate security clearance.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To determine if you are qualified for this position, your resume will be reviewed and compared to your responses to the assessment questionnaire.
Applicants, who disqualify themselves, will not be evaluated further.
Back to top
Benefits of Working for the Federal Government -
for an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees.
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
For additional information, click
: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
HOW TO APPLY:
Back to top
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below)
The complete Application Package
be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, February 25, 2013
To begin the process, click the
button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the
Submit My Answers
button at the end of the process.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, click
for the required cover page.
This Vacancy ID is 844647. Fax your documents to
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the questionnaire
View Occupational Questionnaire
2. OPM Form 1203-FX must be provided to show your responses to the occupational questionnaire.
The numbering sequence on the OPM Form 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire.
Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire restarts with number one, so when entering your responses please continue regardless of number sequence.
This issue has been identified and will be resolved as soon as possible. Applicants are responsible for ensuring their responses are transferred accurately.
for the OPM Form 1203-FX., and
3. Fax all required documents to
. Your OPM Form 1203-FX will be the cover page for your fax transmission.
It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is received, accurate and submitted by the closing date.
You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully by clicking
Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Faxed documents take 2-3 business days to process.
modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
The following documents are required and must be provided by the closing date of the announcement.
- If you submit a resume with inappropriate material e.g. photos, you will not be considered for this vacancy. Your resume may be submitted in any format. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
If selected, you will be required to submit the following documents to substantiate your eligibility and/or qualifications. A list of required documents for all eligibilities may be located
SF50, DD214, Proof of Disability, Certification of Job Readiness, etc.
If you are faxing any documents, click
for the official cover sheet to print.
The fax number is 478-757-3144
Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number and last four digits of your social security number.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Air Force Personnel Center
50 Lemay Plaza South
Department of the Air Force - 22 months ago
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...