The Public Interest Network, of which Environment America is a member organization, seeks a General Counsel.
The Public Interest Network’s mission is to build the power of citizens to move the world toward a greener, more fair, just and democratic future. We work in many places on many issues, each group with its own focus, leadership and financial support. Yet the whole of who we are and what we do is greater than the sum of our network's parts because of what we share: a vision of the future and a history of experience; a commitment to strategic thinking, accountability and hard work; and a dedication to recruitment and training that has helped staff and strengthened the progressive movement in our country.
The Public Interest Network’s in-house counsel department is divided into two General Counsel Offices based in Denver and Boston. The Denver office provides legal services to the PIRG and Environment America organizations (and several state and national affiliated organizations).
The mission of the General Counsel Office in Boston is to provide legal services to the Fund and several Boston-based affiliated organizations. The Fund is a national nonprofit organization working to increase the visibility, membership and political power of the nation’s leading environmental and progressive groups by developing campaigns and technologies to engage Americans in public interest advocacy efforts. The primary practice areas of the Boston-based General Counsel Office include employment law, First Amendment issues, non-profit corporate and tax compliance, charitable solicitation regulation, and contracts.
We are seeking an experienced attorney to lead our Boston-based General Counsel Department.
Responsibilities of the General Counsel include:
• Employment Practices: Advising on employment matters and employment benefits systems, ensuring compliance with employment laws, and defending against employment-related claims. The Fund employs hundreds of people across the U.S.
• Corporate and Tax Compliance: Fostering sound corporate governance practices including establishing procedures for conducting and documenting corporate board meetings, maintaining the organizations' good standing with federal and state corporate and tax regulators and ensuring compliance with IRS guidelines relating to lobbying and political activities of nonprofit organizations.
• First Amendment: Representing the organization’s right to conduct door-to-door canvassing in cities and towns across the country.
• Advising: Advising Fund staff on legal questions, troubleshooting problems, addressing litigation issues, and responding to other matters in a variety of legal practice areas.
• Contracts: Drafting and reviewing contracts, leases, and other legal documents.
• Risk Management: Working with Fund leaders to reduce liability risk through adopting policies that protect the organizations from legal exposure.
• Operations: Working with The Public Interest Network’s Denver-based General Counsel Department and other department heads across the network to create and manage organizational systems.
• Department Management: Overseeing and working alongside a team of Assistant General Counsels and an administrator, creating an annual budget for the department, and managing systems.
The ideal candidate will have a J.D. and at least eight years of legal experience working in one or more of the practice areas described above, and a strong desire to commit to nonprofit and political work.
Successful candidates will also bring the following skills and attributes to the position:
• Excellent verbal communication, research and writing skills;
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in diverse legal subject areas;
• A team orientation that combines strong leadership, congeniality and creativity to drive and motivate others;
• An outstanding work ethic and the ability to propose and drive organizational change;
• Enthusiasm for the mission of the Fund and The Public Interest Network to effect grassroots social change;
• Experience managing staff; and
• Prior experience working with or advising nonprofit organizations, and a measurable understanding of employment and tax exempt law.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with relevant experience. A significant benefits package includes health care coverage, educational loan assistance, a retirement plan, paid vacation and sick days, parental leave, and a dependent care assistance program. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.
Boston, MA, or Denver, CO.
To apply online, click here .
Please specify what position you are applying for and be sure to mention how you found out about our jobs.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Environment America - 23 months ago