The Mission of the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) is to educate and graduate merchant marine officers and leaders of honor and integrity who serve the maritime industry and armed forces and contribute to the economic, defense, and homeland security interests of the United States.
The USMMA is one of the five Federal Academies; it is a four-year, residential college located on the North Shore of Long Island in Western Nassau County. It is one of the world's foremost institutions in the field of maritime education. Located on 82 acres of waterfront land, it includes a library and fitness and recreational facilities available to both faculty and staff. For further information, visit our web site at http://www.usmma.edu .
The position is that of a Sports Specialist (Head Coach Women's Volleyball) in the Department of Physical Education and Athletics. The Academy is a degree granting institution fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities. Upon graduation, the Midshipmen (male and female) are awarded Bachelor of Science degrees, licensed as Merchant Marine Officers by the U.S. Coast Guard and commissioned as Officers in the U.S. Reserve or active duty military service.
The individual must possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher. In addition, must possess college level coaching experience in Volleyball or experience as a Physical Education Instructor.
- You must be a U.S. citizen and meet both the education and specialized experience requirements to qualify
- Submit application and resume by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
- This a Non-Tenure Track position
- This position is an Excepted Service appointment
- Successful completion of a Background Investigation is required.
You will be responsible for the development and conduct of educational courses and programs, research, instruction and academic counseling of Midshipmen, and for assuming a share of departmental and other academic responsibilities.
You will be required to perform the duties of a Head Coach in the Academy's Volleyball program.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EVALUATIONS:
Qualification standards are used to determine which applicants would be able to perform satisfactory in the position to be filled. The education, training, experience, or other requirements included in the qualification standards are minimum requirements, i.e., it would be unlikely that an applicant for employment would be able to perform satisfactorily in a particular position or occupational series if he or she did not possess these qualifications.
To qualify for this position, you must meet both the educational and specialized experience requirements below:
The educational requirement for this Sports Specialist position includes a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to the duties of the position.
Note: Applicants who do not possess a Bachelor’s Degree in a field closely related to the duties required for the position may substitute a Bachelor's Degree in an unrelated field if they also possess significant professional training and specialized experience that is closely related to the duties of the position at a level of complexity and responsibility equivalent to those performed in the position.
Specialized Experience: To qualify for this Sports Specialist position applicants must have completed at least 1 academic year of teaching Physical Education, Physical Fitness, or similar related courses above the high school level or 1 full sports season of experience coaching and recruiting for a Volleyball Program at the NCAA Division I, II, or III level. Your resume and application materials (including college transcripts) must show that you have the education and specialized experience necessary to teach Physical Education related courses above the high school level.
Well qualified candidates must be highly motivated and experienced professionals possessing integrity, stamina, and ingenuity, and be capable of adjusting to various work environments, physical demands, and schedules.
PREFERRED APPLICANTS SHOULD ALSO POSSESS:
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Master’s Degree in a field related to the duties of the position.
- At least two or more full years of NCAA Division I, II or III college level coaching as an Assistant Coach of Volleyball.
- At least one year of NCAA Division I, II, or III college coaching as a Head Coach of Volleyball.
Trial Period: Applicant(s) selected under excepted service procedures must successfully complete a
two-year trial period if not already completed.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Basis for Rating:
For this announcement, all applicants will be reviewed to determine if they meet the basic qualifications for this position, specifically the educational and specialized experience requirements.
Benefits: Benefits include health and life insurance, annual and sick leave, and retirement benefits. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal Employees at http://www.opm.gov/insure/
How to Apply: You must submit a complete application package (including resume, transcripts, education/degree question response and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
Send all required documents via email to:
Note: You must list the Job Announcement # and Job Title in the subject line of your e-mail.
AGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION :
U.S. Department of Transportation
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Office of Human Resources
300 Steamboat Road
Kings Point, New York 11024-1699
The following documents must be provided by the close date:
EEO Policy Statement:
- RESUME - showing relevant experience and education
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE - on your education, and courses, and credit hours taught.
- TRANSCRIPTS – Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements for the series. Unofficial copies are sufficient to apply but official copies may be required prior to appointment.
- SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your tenure, occupational series and grade level if you are a current or former Federal employee.
- VETERANS – In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214 (Member 4 copy) showing the type of discharge and dates of active duty. In addition, if you are claiming 10 point preference eligibility, you must also submit proof of entitlement of this preference such as a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. You must also submit a completed Request for 10 Point preference Form SF-15.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement:
Please answer the following question and include your response with your submitted documents;
Select the response that best describes your education that will qualify you for this position. You will need to provide transcripts for verification of education.
I have completed a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in a related field for this position.
I have completed a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited school in an unrelated field but I possess significant professional training and specialized experience that is closely related to the duties of the position at a level of complexity and responsibility equivalent to those performed in the position.
I do not possess the education and/or experience described in response a or b above and am therefore not qualified for this position.
Select the response that best describes your experience.
I have at least 1 full academic year of experience teaching Physical Education, Physical Fitness, or similar related courses above the high school level.
I have 1 full sports season of coaching and recruiting in a Volleyball program at the NCAA Division I, II, or III level.
I have both the experience listed in a and b above.
I do not possess the specialized experience listed in response a or b above and therefore am not qualified for this position.
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in disqualification and removal from consideration for this position.