The Authority is seeking a highly motivated Director, Distribution & Conveyance Systems.
The Director, Distribution & Conveyance Systems is responsible for directing all activities associated with the delivery of potable water and the collection of wastewater and storm water at all facilities and structures owned and/or maintained by DC Water. Responsible for overall management, direction, coordination and advisory functions designed to protect the environment and preserve public health in the delivery of water and the collection of wastewater including implementing processes that ensure compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act and all pertinent regulations and permits.
• Performs the full range of duties associated with the delivery of potable water and the collection of wastewater and storm water at all DC Water facilities in the District of Columbia and outside the District with regards to the operation of the Potomac Interceptor.
• Implements control measures that ensure the safety of the environment and the public we serve through strict compliance with the requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act, MS4 Permit, NPDES Permit and any other governing body in Maryland or Virginia associated with the operation of the Potomac Interceptor.
• Establishes short term and long term program goals and keeps abreast of pending regulatory changes and industry trends that may influence funding needs, staffing requirements, equipment purchases, capital expenditures and maintenance requirements.
• Directs the analysis of all processes associated with our water, wastewater and storm water facilities to develop more efficient, cost effective and technology advanced methods for delivering potable water to our customers and collecting wastewater and storm water for treatment at Blue Plains.
• Directs the operations review of design, development and implementation of design documents, plans and specifications associated with all assets at the pump stations, reservoirs, tanks including assets associated with the operation of the Potomac Interceptor.
• Directs asset management activities and maintenance schedules to ensure that all pump stations, reservoirs, tanks, Potomac Interceptor, Swirl, Fabridams and all associated assets are functioning as designed.
• Directs staff in the coordination of outages, construction projects, control assignments and maintenance activities at the Washington Aqueduct to ensure an uninterrupted supply of potable water.
• Directs all activities associated with process control systems and SCADA for the water distribution and wastewater and storm water collection systems.
• Monitors and report water loss in the distribution system and monitor and report the daily flow into Blue Plains Wastewater Treatment Plant.
• Sponsors research projects to improve operations or preserve critical assets.
• Performs other duties and projects as assigned at the discretion of the AGM, Customer Care and Operations.
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science or related field from an accredited college or university and ten years (10) of progressive experience related to the management and/or operation of water delivery and wastewater collection systems or similar operations, inclusive of five (5) years of managerial experience. Experience in the electric, gas or oil industry is acceptable. A Master’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or Environmental Science is preferred.
• Must possess and maintain current or acquire within 3 years from the date of hire and maintain current, ABC certification, Distribution Systems Operator IV and ABC certification, Collection Systems Operator IV or equivalent MD or VA certification.
• The Team Blue pledge has been developed based on four pillars of success: Positive Attitude, Accountability, Communication, and Teamwork known as the Team Blue (P.A.CT.) pledge. Leadership qualities as part of Team Blue PACT include but are not limited to the following:
o An ability to demonstrate, by example, the importance and value of: constant striving to self-improve; taking on challenges, contributing ideas to advance improvements, providing solutions to problems; and treating all professional associates with the utmost diplomacy, civility and professional courtesy.
o An ability to establish, by example of behavior, the highest level of personal accountability and integrity; being open and transparent about all relevant job-related activities; welcoming questions, and recognizing the value of constructive criticism; and committing to always ensure all decisions are ethical and professionally responsible.
o An ability to communicate effectively with the Board of Directors, executive staff and members of the Office of the General Manager through a thoughtful and ultimately effective combination of timing, tools, clarity, simplicity and content; being forthright and honest so as to engender trust and respect among professional associates; and seeking to understand all professional colleagues, by actively listening, and encouraging the sharing of thoughts and ideas.
o An ability to effectively establish, support and participate in a culture of teamwork; ensuring that your team shares the Authority’s vision; encouraging cooperation and collaboration; seeking consensus and commitment from team members; working with team members to articulate and realize common goals; valuing and actively recognizing the talents and expertise of team members, and celebrating others’ successes; encouraging team members to develop their knowledge, skills and abilities, and helping them to do so; and treating every challenge as an opportunity to improve.
• Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills.
• Utilizes personal computer and maintains working knowledge of applicable software programs (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, etc.).
• General office conditions.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
DC Water distributes drinking water and collects and treats wastewater for more than 600,000 residential, commercial and governmental...