The DMM provides leadership and direction in the development of the business strategy and product assortment in alignment with FreshDirect’s target customer. This position requires an energetic and collaborative leadership style that balances accountability and results within a culture of empowerment and people development.
This position requires a high level of collaboration internally across various cross-functional teams including Merchandising, Operations, IT, Marketing and Purchasing. A key success factor for this role is to posses the ability to recruit, develop and retain a strong and talented Merchandising team that will deliver results that will position FreshDirect for significant company growth.
- Strong knowledge of Merchandising, Planning and Forecasting
- The ability to develop and lead the merchandising strategies
- Translate current trends into cohesive categories that maximize merchandising impact and drive sales
- The ability to leverage the supplier/vendor’s base for the appropriate product categories
- Drive impactful product assortments that focus on the customer needs
- Foster an environment that promotes personal development and high morale
- Set overall strategy and merchandise direction for department
- Direct Merchants to develop variety that supports the needs of the customer base and financial objectives for the Merchandising Department
- Ensure the pricing, promotional strategies and marketing support the financial objectives of the Merchandising Department
- Work with the Merchants to strengthen market relationships and knowledge of market trends, strengths and weaknesses
- Understand competitors strengths, weaknesses and strategies
- Experience in leading and organizing special projects that involve cross-functional teams
- Plans and carries out work assignments; resolves most conflicts which arise; coordinates work with others as necessary; interprets policy on own initiative in terms of established objectives. Keeps Teamleader informed of progress, potentially controversial matters, or far-reaching implications
- Trains, assigns work to, and checks work of four (4) or more Category Merchants; participates in the decision to hire, fire, and promote Merchants; does not conduct the same work as Merchants on a regular basis
- Four (4) Category Merchants
- Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline with specialized leadership training and/or demonstrated capability to perform job responsibilities through previous experience and education
- 5+ years of Retail Management experience
- 7-10 years of Retail Merchandising experience
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong understanding of “Business Math”
- Ability to work well with Senior Management
- Highly organized and adaptable in a fast paced environment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint)
- SAP experience is a plus
DisclaimerThe above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Teammember(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of individuals in this position. Position Descriptions may be subject to change as the needs of the organization changes.
As EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYERS , Fresh Direct, LLC and its affiliates do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (except where gender is a bonafide occupational qualification), disability, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state, or local law.
FreshDirect - 19 months ago
The emphasis is on fresh at online grocer FreshDirect. The Internet grocery shopping service delivers to many New York City neighborhoods in...