Working closely with the VP of Communications, this position implements components and assists in managing AOPA's overall positioning and image - proactively and reactively - in order to effectively communicate to our members, general and trade press, the aviation community and the general public. Specifically, it directs image-driven communications programs to help define and promote AOPA's role in the general aviation community and benefits to our membership through the appropriate communication channels.
1. Collaborate with the VP of Communications and key stakeholders to assist in developing and implementing internal and external public relations initiatives and proactive and reactive media relations.
2. Leverages/nurtures media contacts to establish and consistently affirm a unified, positive image for AOPA and its leadership in the aviation community. Identifies opportunities, develops and generates appropriate media and public relations coverage for the organization to ensure our position is accurately and effectively represented internally and in the aviation and general media.
3. Fields media requests, coordinates interviews, news conferences, etc. Develops and manages press kits. Distributes daily clips. Develop and maintain appropriate interviewing capabilities for AOPA. Field produce news events for the Association.
4. Develops news releases, stories, op eds, letters-to-the-editor, video products and backup materials in a wide variety of mediums to support the overall public relations image and messaging at AOPA and ensure effective and efficient communication of the brand.
5. Provides a key support role for the AOPA Aviation Summit, President's Office events, and other events as required including developing content, publicity, visuals and video products.
6. Monitors general and trade media coverage and responds quickly to negative or unbalanced stories where appropriate and when required.
Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or similar field with emphasis on management and communication. Master's degree preferred.
At least 8-10 years of communications/public relations management and planning.
Broad experience with depth in media relations, issues management and crises communications required.
General Aviation experience preferred.
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association - 9 months ago
With more than 400,000 members, AOPA is the world's largest civil aviation association, dedicated to protecting the interests and promoting...