Will provide support to the principal investigator (PI) to use NASA's satellite data and models to document past, present, and future land cover conditions and produce and extensive assessment of the impacts of urbanization as a form of land use on the US continental surface climate. Work will be conducted at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD. Duties shall include:
- Acting as lead point-of-contact between the PI and other co-investigators and collaborators
- Downloading and processing satellite data for large domains over the US
- Correcting satellite data by filling spatial and temporal gaps
- Participating in summarizing the results in view of presenting them as technical reports in a publishable format
- Supporting data verification of the development of land cover and demographic maps
- Improving and executing mathematical algorithms to obtain and map different biophysical fields required by land surface models, especially the Simple Biosphere model.
- Running the Simple Bioshpere model and analyzing outputs
- Occasionally developing software to carry out special analysis.
1 to 5 years experience with land surface modeling, surface climate, processing satellite data, and satellite data analysis. Solid background in writing programs and scripts using FORTRAN, C, C++, and Unix/Linux. Experience with the Simple Biosphere model preferred.
Must be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
PhD in Atmospheric Science, related discipline, or equivalent.
Earth Resources Technology, Inc - 2 years ago