The Head Chef is responsible for planning and managing the preparation and service of meals for guests and employees of the Kantishna Roadhouse, ensuring the smooth and profitable operation of the kitchen, and maintaining high standards of food quality and safety at all times.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Plans and executes menus for guest and employee meals, sets standards for all recipes, service systems and storage procedures. Plans rotating menus to efficiently utilize supplies and minimize waste.
- Is responsible for training and evaluating kitchen and dining room staff on an ongoing basis. Monitors and approves timesheets for all kitchen and dining room staff.
- Manages the food and kitchen budget, maintaining awareness of accurate food costs and implementing and monitoring portion control.
- Is responsible for stock control, ordering and rotation.
- Is responsible for overseeing and maintaining high standards of presentation.
- Ensures all kitchen and dining areas are maintained to the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness and that equipment is maintained in a clean and operational state, that it is secure, and replaced or repaired when necessary, maintaining safety standards.
- Monitors and maintains operational procedures including practices stipulated by the Department of Environmental Health. Where feasible, develops and maintains a recycling program for cardboard, glass, and aluminum;
- Has primary responsibility for preparation of two nightly dinner services and, may substitute for and relieve or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
- May be required to work split shifts.
- All other duties as deemed necessary by the Manager on Duty.
- Education and/or experience in running a large-scale commercial kitchen
- Experience in planning and executing high-end, large scale meals
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate and lead a team
- Ability to delegate tasks
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Calm disposition with flexibility for hours and shift patterns worked
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Requires living and working in a remote location (Denali National Park). The work is performed in the kitchen setting with a wide variety of people in differing functions, personalities and abilities. During mealtimes the individual will work under pressure.
- Minimum of five (5) years as a hands-on chef in a commercial venture. Able to demonstrate high personal competency in all technical and artistic skills necessary to operate the kitchen and produce food of consistently high quality.
- Minimum three (3) years commercial kitchen management experience.
- Training and application in prevention of food borne illness, sanitation and personal hygiene.
- Certified Professional Food Manager Certification.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment and random drug screening tests
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: An individual will be on their feet throughout their workday. The work requires routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying items weighing up to seventy-five (75) pounds without assistance. [Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions].
Preference will be given to Doyon shareholders and Alaska Natives in accordance with Title 43 U.S. Code 1626(g) and Title 42 U.S. Code 2003-2(i).
It is Doyon’s business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
Doyon Government Group - 2 years ago
Doyon Tourism Services
Denali National Park, AK
Doyon Government Group
- 14 days ago