MCIT EHIS-Linux team currently manages 200+ Linux (SuSe and RedHat) hosts, and the associated hardware infrastructure. The team also manages the enterprise Core File services, hosting for www.med.umich.edu (MedInfo), and MiShare (secure file transfer service).The team engages with Business Units, other IT teams, and vendors to evaluate, design, and deploy systems for small departmental projects to enterprise level projects like MiShare, MiChart, Identity Management, MICHR, etc. 50% of the server environment is virtualized.The team will also be managing high computing clusters in the near future.
The candidate will propose, design, develop, deliver, and support Linux Server infrastructure technology solutions at enterprise level to support the business and research needs of UMHS, keep current with the latest Linux hardware and software technology and evaluate technologies as needed.
The candidate will maintain operation of the Linux environment by enforcing security measures, developing and deploying standardized server builds, and managing new technologies and resolving any problems involved in system integration.
The candidate also will function as one of the key technical resources and work closely with customers to deploy enterprise level application systems and to evaluate current system and make recommendations on future development, capacity planning, and disaster recovery.
The candidate will participate in on-call rotation. Required Qualifications*
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. Application Deadline
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience in managing and supporting Linux systems in an enterprise environment
- Expert Level knowledge of SLES 10, SLES 11, RHEL 5, and RHEL 6
- Experience in deploying and troubleshooting high performance Linux systems
- Experience with Veritas clustering and high-availability solutions on Linux
- Knowledge and/or experience with High performance Computing cluster and job scheduler
- Experience with autoyast and kickstart build processes
- Experience with puppet configuration management
- Advanced scripting skills in Bash, perl, python, and ruby
- Excellent knowledge and hands-on experience with kernel performance tuning and analysis on Intel/AMD based platforms
- Strong security awareness
- Experience with networking technologies, particularly as they pertain to managing Linux systems and applications running on these system
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills with the ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels within the organization
- Experience leading projects and teams
- Willing to participate in on-call rotation. Desired Qualifications*
- 7+ years of experience in managing and supporting large environment with SuSE Linux Enterprise Servers
- Experience with Virtual server environments and configuring systems for maximum performance and operating flexibility
- Experience managing Linux patch management solutions in a large environment
- Experience installing, maintaining and supporting Linux systems in a SAN environment
- Working experience with High Performance computing cluster management and Job scheduler
- Experience with HP and Cisco blade servers and management tools
- Experience with Novell file services (OES), Storage Manager, and eDirectory
- Proven technical leader with solid system administration skills, and the ability to maintain a positive attitude while working in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Certification preferred: LPIC-2, LPIC-3, RHCE, CLP 11
- Knowledge or working experience with ITIL concepts. Underfill Statement
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
University of Michigan - 20 months ago