To direct and supervise all functions of the produce department in the absence of the Produce Manager and to provide exceptional customer service; to ensure that work shifts contribute to the best financial interests of the store.
Essential Functions: General
- Observe all store rules and company policies.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe comany dress code.
- Observe shift operating hours at all times as scheduled.
- Ensure quality standards
- Ensure quality standard are maintained throughout the department. Ensure ordering, culling, rotation, etc. is in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Be able to efficiently perform all of the duties of an experienced produce clerk.
- Meet work schedule and direct report requirements consistently and punctually.
- Assist in achieving established profit contribution budgets and labor budgets.
- Maintain positive working relationships with vendors by utilizing the Golden Rule.
- Develop understanding of P&L, invoice flows, calculating margins, cost and retail as well as basic supermarket math.
- Assist in maintaining records of inventory, quality assurance, invoices, etc. according to company policy.
- Understand and work pro-actively to achieve diversity objectives.
- Perform other duties as directed by manager. Customer Relations
- Greet all customers and provide prompt assistance and courteous service.
- Assist customers with any products they may have difficulty handling.
- Package merchandise according to established company policies and procedures.
- Adhere to all standards outlined in the Customer 1 sty Service plus Program.
- Sample products to customers. Employee Relations
- Assist in training new personnel according to company outlines and procedures.
- Maintain good communication in the department and throughout the organization.
- Notify department manager of personnel situations or policy violations having adverse effects on store operations, performance, or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may require such action.
- Assist in providing accurate and timely evaluations according to company policies. Labor Control
- Record all shift hours in the Kronos Biometric Reader.
- Achieve established benchmarks by working with a sense of urgency.
- Honestly keep breaks and lunches within prescribed limits.
- Control excessive use of supplies.
- Assist with ordering supplies as necessary and according to budgets set and the best financial interest of the company.
- Handle damaged or spoiled product and re-do stocks according to company policies.
- Notify scanning department of any price discrepancies or changes of product in department.
- Assist with ordering and maintaining inventory control to ensure freshness of product quality and turnover for maximum sales and return on investment.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures with regards to Computer Assisted Ordering (CAO) and the Fresh Insights Program
Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of customers’ actions and behaviors.
Report to management any suspicious behavior.
Ensure that all department personnel comply with security programs.
Keep individual payment receipt with you during breaks and lunch periods.
Keep back door open only when receiving product.
Maintenance and Safety
- Comply fully with all safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain general housekeeping and sanitation standards in compliance with store policy and state and local health regulations on a regular, ongoing basis.
- Assist in keeping produce sales floor, backrooms and storage areas clean, clear and in good order.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order and report any problems or malfunctions to your supervisor.
Some of the Competencies/Skills required to successfully perform this position are: Core Competencies:
- Building Strategic Working Relationships - Developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Building Trust - Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization.
- Communication - Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Customer Focus - Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships.
- Inclusion - Appreciating and leveraging the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals.
- Safety Awareness - Identifying and correcting conditions that affect employee safety; upholding safety standards. Job Specific:
- Aligning Performance for Success - Focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives.
- Applied Learning - Assimilating and applying new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Continuous Improvement - Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; using appropriate methods to identify opportunities, implement solutions, and measure impact.
- Composure - Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
- Decision Making - Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Delegating Responsibility - Allocating decision-making authority and/or task responsibility to appropriate others to maximize the organization's and individuals' effectiveness.
- Developing Others - Planning and supporting the development of individuals' skills and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Initiating Action - Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Managing Change - Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Planning and Organizing - Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Results Oriented – Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment: using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goal attainment: tenaciously working to meet or exceed those goals while deriving satisfaction from the process of goal achievement and continuous improvement.
- Technical/Professional Knowledge, Compliance and Skills – Achieving a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position and/or related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise. Ensures associates and location comply with laws and regulation applicable to the company.
- Work Standards - Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Tools and Equipment Used
- Successfully complete produce mentorship packet.
- Have prior produce clerk experience and knowledge of how department operates.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Knives, hammers, wire cutters, hoses, pallet jacks, carts and boxes, 6-wheeler/u-boat.
Length of Work Day/Week
- Tables, racks, prep tables, carpet and tile floor.
Other Job Demands
- As outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Walk-in refrigerator-temperature cold/wet
- Indoors/sales floor-moderate temperatures and lighting
- Backrooms and outside loading docks dusty conditions.
Complete food handlers course and obtain current permit where required .
- High school diploma or GED required
After completion of Mentorship program, must pass Zone Panel Interview.
Desired Previous Job Experience:
Potential Career Path from this Position:
- Minimum of three years experience in department preferred, but not required.
Application and interest must be received by Tuesday January 29th 2013 by 4:00pm
. Please complete a full application online through our Fry’s Food website. You can find steps to complete a general application below or utilize the link provided. Please complete your application thoroughly, as it will be used as a screening tool to determine who will receive an interview. All candidates may not be interviewed.
Follow the “Careers/Jobs" link at the bottom
Follow the “Store Opportunities" link
Please Post on Bulletin Board
- OR - You may follow this link: https://wss3a.unicru.com/hirepro/C244/applicant.jsp?content=search&Site=-3&k=no&Division=660
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
“We Value and Embrace Diversity and Inclusion
From a small grocery store founded by Ren Smith in Brigham City, Utah, Smith's Food & Drug has grown into a regional powerhouse...