Under the supervision of the assigned LPN/LVN or RN Unit Manager, performs resident/patient care activities and related services necessary in caring for the personal needs, safety, and comfort of residents/patients as assigned. Assists in providing a positive physical, social, and psychological environment. Follows all Extendicare policies and procedures.
1. Assists with resident/patient care needs and comforts including but not limited to:
2. Assists with nursing functions as follows:
- Assists or gives oral hygiene and mouth care.
- Assists with bathing functions and dressing/undressing as necessary.
- Assists with nail care, shaving, and hair care.
- Assists with lifting, turning, positioning and transporting residents.
- Makes both occupied and unoccupied beds (as assigned).
- Keeps residents/patients dry (i.e. change gown, clothing, linen, etc.) when he/she becomes soiled or wet.
- Assists resident/patient with bowel or bladder functions.
- Checks residents/patients frequently to assure that their personal care needs are being met.
- Answers call lights promptly.
3. Performs food service functions including:
- Measures and records vital signs.
- Weighs and measures residents/patients.
- Collects specimens (i.e., urine, stool, sputum).
- Prepares and gives enemas.
- Provides daily indwelling catheter care.
- Performs diabetic urine testing.
- Turns bedfast residents/patients at least every two hours.
- Provides daily range of motion exercises.
- Checks restrained residents/patients at least every thirty minutes and releases restraints every two hours for range of motion and takes to bathroom. Maintains an accurate record of restrained residents.
- Assists with care of the dying resident.
- Maintains accurate intake and output records.
Notes and reports changes in resident/patient eating habits, especially those on diabetic diet.
- Prepares residents/patients for meals (i.e., take to bathroom, wash hands, oral care, take to, from dining room, etc.)
- Serves food trays. Assists with feeding as indicated.
- Records the residents/patients food fluid intake.
- Serves between meal and bedtime snacks.
- Keeps resident’s/patient’s water pitchers clean and filled with fresh water on each shift.
- Performs after meal care (i.e., clean residents/patients hands, face, clothing, brush teeth, take to bathroom, etc.).
4. Assists with keeping nursing and resident/patient care area neat, sanitary, and orderly.
5. Appropriately records charges for supplies.
6. Participates in the Interdisciplinary Plan of Care (“IPOC”) process as assigned.
7. Follows work assignments and schedules.
8. *Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in accordance with Extendicare’s Corporate Compliance Program.
9. *Attends and participates in in-service training, performance improvement (“PI”) committees and other meetings as scheduled and directed.
10. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
11. Assists in orientation and training of employees as assigned.
Knows and follows facility rules.
Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs.
Follows facility smoking policies.
Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate facility personnel.
Uses required protective equipment.
- Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Facility Disaster Plan.
Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures.
Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor.
13. Resident Rights
Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents/patients exercise and/or protect their rights.
Reports resident/patient complaints to management.
Maintains confidentiality of resident/patient information.
Follows and adheres to Extendicare’s policies and procedures implementing HIPAA requirements for the privacy and security of protected health information.
Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health Information necessary to complete assigned tasks. (Applies only if position requires access to PHI under Role Based Access Grid.)
Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPAA policies or procedures to Facility Privacy Designee.
Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled.
- Performs other duties as assigned and consistent with the level of preparation and experience.
The designation of “essential functions” and “other duties” is for purposes of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employees holding this position will be required to perform all job duties, consistent with law. In addition, employees must meet applicable health requirements imposed by law.
This description has been prepared to assist in evaluating various classes of responsibilities, skills, and working conditions. It indicates the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of positions given this classification. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities. Nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. Nothing contained herein is intended or shall be construed to create or constitute a contract of employment between any employee or group of employees and the Employer. The Employer retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
Education : Certified with the state to work as a nursing assistant.
Experience : Prior experience working in a long-term care facility is a plus.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities : Able to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents/patients, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Possess special interest in, and a positive attitude about, working with long-term care residents/patients and the elderly. Able to read, write, speak and understand English. Meets all health requirements, as required by law.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. The tasks on this position description marked with an asterisk (*) are those that regularly require these physical activities. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents. Lifting and/or transferring some residents will require use of a lifting device and /or assistance of other staff.
If you can hear yourself saying one of the following:
"Helping People Live Better."
"Revolutionizing Post-Acute Therapy."
A challenging and exciting career at Extendicare, ProStep or VCPI awaits you. We value our customers and our teams who care for them. We are enthusiastic about helping others by providing quality care, rehabilitation and IT services. If you are interested in a rewarding career, passionate staff, and a diverse team apply
ProStep Rehab offers comprehensive rehabilitative services including physical, occupational and speech therapy services in a variety of...