High School Diploma/GED
Current Healthcare Provider CPR Card
This position is responsible for the timely transport of patients to various locations with the hospital. Ability to lift, push, pull patients using stretchers, wheelchairs, beds, etc. Responsible for patient safety while transporting patients. Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide service appropriate to the age of the patients. Excellent customer service skills required.
Carries out responsibilities in accordance with Ascension Health Core Values, St. Agnes policies/procedures and applicable civil laws. Accountable for efficient use of resources and perpetuation of the St. Agnes mission.
1. Properly identifies patient before transporting. Obtains hand-off communication form on all patient transports
2. Accompanies ambulatory patients or transports non-ambulatory patients via wheelchair, stretcher, or bed to and from nursing units and various ancillary departments. Reports any problems during transport to the charge nurse.
a. Arrives onto the unit prepared with the appropriate transport vehicle, along with any other equipment deemed necessary by the patient’s nurse (i.e., oxygen tank, etc.)
b. Using proper body mechanics, assists ambulatory patients into and out of transport vehicles.
c. Using proper body mechanics, assists the unit staff with transferring nonambulatory patients into and out of transport vehicles.
d. Notifies unit staff when transporting patients away from and back into the patient’s respective unit.
3. Follows proper infection control practices: appropriate linen to cover patient; wipes down equipment after every use; washes hands per policy
4. Records individual daily log on each patient transport for statistical purposes.
5. Treats all people with courtesy, respect and compassion; returns pages promptly; responds professionally to questions and assignments
6. Recognizes unsafe transport vehicles and reports these vehicles to the unit charge nurse and the escort supervisor.
a. Tracks the locations of various transport vehicles, and assists with distributing these transport vehicles to various areas as needed.
7. Assists with orientation of new patient escorts.
8. Demonstrates consideration of costs containment in the effective and efficient use of time, materials, and supplies.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Required Certifications, Licenses, Registrations : Current CPR certification from American Heart Association (Healthcare Provider card) or the American Red Cross (CPR/ AED/ PRO for Healthcare Provider card)
Preferred Certifications, Licenses, Registrations : N/A
Required Experience: One to three months’ related experience and/or training
Preferred Experience: N/A
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Supervision received from: Patient Escort Supervisor/Nurse Manager