Senior SQL Database Developer
Job ID : 2013-17406
# of Positions: 1
Posted Date: 10/10/2013
Job Location: US-NJ-Piscataway
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Category: Information Technology
Pearson has one defining goal: to help people progress in their lives through learning. We champion innovation and we invest in models for education that deliver on our promise for effective, accessible, and personal learning from early literacy, college and career readiness to professional education, through data informed instruction and inventive applications for mobile and digital learning.
Pearson, the world's leading learning company, has global-reach and market leading businesses in education, business, and consumer publishing and is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, visit www.pearson.com.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The Learning Technologies Group is seeking a Database Administrator for the development team located in the Piscataway, NJ office. Extensive hands-on VLDB experience in MS SQL Server 2008 is required. SQL 2012 and Windows 2012 experience a big plus. The ideal candidate will have worked in a SQL Developer capacity on a development team supporting large-scale .NET applications with a SQL server backend. Candidate will be responsible for performance monitoring and tuning of a mission-critical database-centric application and will work with the development team to evaluate new technologies and architectural approaches as well as assist in schema design and optimization.
The responsible individual will need to have the ability to lead projects from inception to completion, be a motivated self-starter, and proactively identify problems and dependencies within code.
The individual will need to have above average analytical, written and verbal communications skills as well as strong presentation skills and be comfortable working in a dynamic, quality-driven environment. Production DBA experience is a plus, but this is primarily a T-SQL development and optimization role.
Detailed Responsibility Requirements
- Strong communication skills, including facilitation skills, customer service skills, relationship development skills with both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate (written and oral) technical information to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Good Problem solving and analysis skills. - Demonstrates the ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize effectively, managing time effectively and paying close attention to details.
- Takes ownership over the implementation of the database model including conceptual, logical and physical models, creating patch scripts for the physical implementation for the database objects.
- Works with the project teams and reviewing the requirements and suggesting the changes in the database schema level including adding new databases and tables and preparing the ER diagrams and communicating with the relevant stakeholders.
- Ability to see the big picture and conceptualize and document creative solutions.
- Expert in both T-SQL syntax and complex joins working on both query creation and optimization that supports and mentors the developers to write more efficient and maintainable database code including but not limited to stored procedures, functions and triggers. Periodically reviews the code written by the developers and makes recommendations, guiding them to write better code.
- Analyzing the database code and application design using various in-house and third party tools and implementing best practices.
- Supports the team members in installing and using SQL Server client program and updating them on the best practices.
- Ability to use good judgment in evaluation and decision making.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE - Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent expertise
- 5+ years of experience supporting the database for high availability web based applications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Usage of native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- SQL optimization using indexes and statistics
- Query plan analysis and tuning - Root cause analysis
- Familiarity with software development lifecycle processes
- Smart, dedicated team player - Must work with minimal supervision
- Knowledge on application integration impact on database systems
- Ability to work with stakeholders in deriving and validating requirements
- Installation and Clustering/Mirroring/High Availability (HA) knowledge a plus
- Working experience or knowledge with other database systems such as MySQL and/or non-relational systems such as MongoDB and Cassandra a plus
- 20 months ago - save job
Pearson is an international media company with world-leading businesses in education, business information, and consumer publishing. Our...