For this contract position, you will be on a team that supports fleet-wide telemetry and software tools for our client's server platform for their innovative web service and e-commerce technology platforms.
We're looking for a Software Development Engineer with strong, OO design and programming skills in a Service Oriented Architecture environment to join this Seattle-based team. You will create software to interface with Linux-based servers to collect hardware information, design and implement test automation, and create tools to monitor the quality of the installed fleet. You have relentlessly high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you will be constantly looking for ways to improve your products by tracking and analyzing the performance of devices in-use.
Scope of work will include the following:
- Create processes that enhance operational workflow and provide positive customer impact
- Dive deep to resolve problems at their root, looking for failure patterns amenable to long-term solutions via simplification and automation
- Avoid re-inventing the wheel and prefer appropriately simple, repeatable solutions over more complex and failure-prone ones
- Recognize and adopt best practices in documentation, testing, security, operational support at scale, and efficient use of resources
- Develop appropriate metrics to demonstrate performance at improving operational efficiency
- 2-3 years software development experience on Linux platform
- Strong design and programming skills in Python or Ruby
- Experience designing and developing applications using service-oriented architecture
- Fundamental knowledge of relational database platforms and working with normalized data sets in application logic via SQL
- Knowledge of VCS (git, mercurial, svn)
- Experience with testing / CI automation frameworks (Hudson)
- Basic understanding of how commodity servers, operating systems and networks function, perform and scale
- Basic understanding of standard internet protocols (Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
This contract position is expected to be 6 months in duration.
- Programming skills in C, C++, Java, Perl
- Understanding of web services technologies
- Ability to understand and build web services (REST)
- Strong system troubleshooting skills
- Ability to drive technical innovation and efficiency in infrastructure operations via automation
- Experience designing server monitoring and management solutions using automation and self-repair
- Demonstrated grasp of security best practices in server configuration, tool development, and access controls
- Experience deploying or managing servers in large-scale, geographically diverse environments
- Understanding and experience of managing and monitoring large scale disk sub-systems
- Operational knowledge of common enterprise switching and routing platforms
- Knowledge of and experience deploying and operating Linux or other UNIX variants in a datacenter environment
- Relentless passion for frugality and out-of-the-box engineering
- Willingness and aptitude to learn what is required to become adequately skilled
CompuCom - 4 months ago
Compucom Systems, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, helps companies plan, implement and manage multi-vendor, industry-standard computing...