Monsanto is seeking an innovative Engineering Research Assistant to join a team of talented research scientists using leading edge technology to accelerate our biotech pipeline. The incumbent will be part of the conversion center research operations based in Hawaii.
The successful candidate is expected to work within a team responsible for the design, development, integration, deployment, and support of automation solutions in our conversion centers. He / She will have the opportunity to deliver automation solutions supporting management of field nurseries: seed preparation, planting, field plot management, data collection, harvesting, and seed processing. The incumbent will be expected to identify opportunities for process automation through technology and will be the go-to person for all robotics and computer-related research equipment used on site and for contributing to the design and testing of prototypes in discovery. The engineering research assistant is expected to:
· Collaborate with multi-functional process improvement technical teams to design, test, introduce and adopt new technologies into the conversion center
· Lead improvement efforts aimed at simplifying maintenance and operation of technical research equipment such as planters, hand-held computers, various robotics and computer-based seed handling, shelling, counting and packaging systems
· Assist in operations related to field nurseries including seed preparation, planting, field plot management, data collection, harvesting, and seed processing.
· Perform leadership responsibilities including safety inspections & safety training, supervision and training of temporary employees and compliance with ISO Quality Management Standards
· BS degree in Agricultural, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, Ag Systems Management or a related field. Other degrees considered if complimented by robotics/automation system experience.
· Experience and demonstrated skills in operation and maintenance of robotics systems and other highly technical research equipment
· Experience with Six Sigma Lean or track record of improving process outputs and reduce process variation
· Strong problem solving and proven project delivery skills
· Experience working with people from various backgrounds and ability to foster & maintain relationships at many levels of the organization
· Demonstrated ability to listen & translate needs into solutions with ROI and success metrics
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal & communication skills
· Ability to work extended hours during the peak planting, pollinating and harvest seasons
· Experience in the Agriculture or Biotech industries
· Basic knowledge of crop production and farming practices, as well as, farm equipment operation and repair
· Strong interest and aptitude of IT tools, Databases, statistical analysis
Monsanto - 2 years ago
Monsanto is one of the world’s leading agricultural technology companies. We’re a company committed to innovation, focused on...