Under the direction of the Director of IT Network Services, the Senior IT Network Administrator is responsible for all activities relating to the network infrastructure and architecture, including the design, installation, configuration and maintenance of internal voice, data, and video networks, switch and router management, network management tools, security, and disaster recovery.
Performs job duties consistent within safety, legal and regulatory requirements; company standards, culture and business practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the design, development, and deployment of new technologies, services, and underlying network infrastructure.
- Performs physical and logical network design, advanced configuration and maintenance of routers, switches, load balancers, content delivery devices, firewall/security devices, and other types of networking equipment.
- Plans, coordinates, and executes major/largescale network projects, such as: critical maintenance, largescale migrations, technology changes/additions/upgrades.
- Analyze and plan growth and capacity of production networks.
- Performs network technology vendor evaluations. Researches and defines equipment specifications.
- Develops service specifications, internal standards, and policies and procedures to adapt to evolving technology and business needs.
- Participates in development of technical training and documentation for network support staff.
- Assists lower level administrators as the highest point of technical escalation.
Contributes to departmental activities and programs by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
installation and administration.
- 10+ year experience in IT-related industry.
- 6+ year administration and support experience in a Cisco networked environment
- Strong working knowledge of switching, routing, and networking concepts.
- Strong working knowledge of Cisco Firewalls or similar perimeter security tools and design concepts.
- Strong working knowledge of Cisco Voice Over IP and Unity voice mail systems maintenance,
- Strong working knowledge of Network monitoring and management tools – preferably NetQoS.
- Strong working knowledge of Internet networking technologies and principals including TCP/IP, DHCP
and voice services.
- Experience working with various data and voice service providers, provisioning circuits and other data
transition of services.
- Strong experience with design and installation of networking services.
- Strong experience in developing and executing project plans and tasks for implementation and
other team members.
- Ability to provide after hours/on call support as part of mandatory network support program in rotation with
In order to accomplish the essential duties of this position, the incumbent must have a BS in Computer Science, Information Systems and/or equivalent experience in the administration, installation, and maintenance of enterprise networking environment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and depth perception
FairPoint Communications reserves the right to change or revise duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This document is not a written or implied contract of employment.
FairPoint Communications provides local and long-distance phone services, which account for nearly half of sales, as well as broadband...