Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce.
Who May Apply
This position is ideal for a candidate who has supervisory experience in providing technical solutions to include database and web-based applications, data matching, data transfers and automated data processing systems. This position starts at a salary of $74,782.00 (GS-12 step 1). The full performance level of this position is at the GS-12 grade level. Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Enterprise Coordination and Information Management Section of the National Processing Service Center Operations Division of the Recovery Directorate!
- All U.S. Citizens
- For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here
- This position opportunity is also being advertised under Merit Promotion Procedures. Please see vacancy announcement number MG-2013-02266-SLC-874847MP for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: For all nonbargaining unit positions, the following applies: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- You must be able to obtain Public Trust background compliance.
- You may be required to undergo periodic drug testing.
- This position may require occasional non-emergency travel.
- Direct Deposit is mandatory.
- Males born after 12/31/59 - Selective Service Registration required.
In this position, you will serve as a supervisor in the Enterprise Coordination and Information Management section and will provide direction to teams performing technical solutions including database and web-based applications, data matching, data transfers, and automated data processing systems. Typical work assignments include:
- Supervises a group of employees performing work at the GS-9/11/12 grade level. Performs the administrative and human resource management functions relative to the staff.
- Develops and maintains major database systems that require the integration of several other systems that may or may not be the same. Develops and maintains custom database applications and configures,upgrades and maintains databases by diagnosing database problems and improving efficiency of existing applications.
- Oversees data management function which independently designs, writes source code and unit tests applications.
- Oversees the design, update and maintenance of intranet web sites in support of program and processing personnel. Provides direction to technical staff regarding continuous format and content review and intranet posting of program related material.
- Responsible for the modification or deviation from established guidelines to develop technical solutions that meet complex or intricate business requirements. Develops data models. Produces database designs for integrating source data into data management systems.
You qualify for this position at the GS-12 level if you possess the following :
One full year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 federal grade level. Specialized experience is described as demonstrated supervisory experience with application development in a rapidly changing fast paced environment; experience with software development utilizing the Systems Development Life Cycle methodology; and experience with other data information management systems (i.e.SharePoint, Relational Database Systems,etc.)
The qualification requirements listed above must be met within 30 calendar days of the closing date of this announcement.
Candidates may not substitute education for the required experience in order to qualify for this position.
Background Investigation : To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully pass a background investigation for Public Trust as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a review of financial issues, such as delinquency, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education, and training will be rated using a job questionnaire that is based on the following competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job:
1. Knowledge and skill in applying analytical and evaluative Information Technology concepts, principles, methods and practices to support disaster assistance activities and programs.
2. Knowledge of Internet technologies and Information Technology security principles and methods.
3. Ability to provide supervision to a diverse workforce and skill in organizing, planning, directing, and reviewing the work of team activities.
4. Ability to collect, produce and analyze operational and statistical data to identify trends, operational problems, and develop solutions and/or improvements to programs.
5. Ability to communicate orally in order to effectively and persuasively present recommendations, guidance, and solutions to managers, supervisors, contractors, customers, staff and others.
Under Delegated Examining (All U.S. Citizens), we will use your job questionnaire to place you in one of three categories based on your experience, education, and training. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
1. Best Qualified : Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
2. Well-Qualified : Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
3. Qualified : Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. To preview the Assessment Questionnaire, click the following link: View Assessment Questions
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles : If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPMs Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans : Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans preference, please click here .
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to www.dhs.gov/careers and select benefits.
This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
usajobs.gov - 17 months ago
Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High Condition...