For decades, CH2M HILL has been a global leader in engineering, consulting, design, program management, construction and operations, working on the most challenging and impactful projects around the world. Through these challenging projects, we develop our people — who transform complex and creative ideas into reality, every day. Join us and together we can work to build a sustainable world. We support you to reach your greatest career goals through continued professional development, a positive work life balance and undeniably cool engineering projects. Join employee-owned CH2M HILL and discover why our diverse team has been consistently ranked as one of the leading employers and repeatedly recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “100 Best Companies to Work For".
Construction, Operations & Maintenance Jobs in Alaska
In the arctic and subarctic regions of the world, our Alaska group provides construction operations and maintenance services to the upstream oil and gas industry. Our experienced workforce and proven systems enable us to anticipate, avoid, and remove risk in the dynamic arctic environment, ensuring safe, cost-effective, and environmentally sound project delivery. Your job in the Alaska Energy and Chemical group is your opportunity to join a highly trained and engaged workforce working to meet the global demand for fuel. Are you ready?
Description and Desired Qualifications
Performs welding of metal components for fabrication or repair of machine parts, plant equipment and structures according to layout, blueprints or work orders using brazing and a variety of arc and gas welding equipment
The position is located on the North Slope and requires a rotational work schedule. Relocation assistance to Alaska is not provided; however, transportation between Anchorage and Prudhoe Bay is provided. Room and meals are provided while in Prudhoe Bay.
Essential Job Functions:
Knowledge, Skills, Ability:
- Lay out, fit, and weld fabricated, cast, and forged components to assemble structural forms, such as machinery frames, tanks, pressure vessels, furnace shells, and building and bridge parts, according to blueprints, specifications and knowledge of welding and metallurgy
- Select equipment and plan layout, assembly, and welding, applying knowledge of geometry, physical properties of metal machining weld shrinkage, and welding techniques
- Lay out, position, align, and fit components together
- Bolt, clamp, and tack-weld parts to secure in position for welding
- Weld in flat, horizontal, vertical or overhead positions
- Examine weld for bead size and other specifications
- Clean or degrease weld joint or work piece
- Set up equipment and weld parts, using arc, gas-shielded arc, submerged arc, or gas welding equipment
- Repair products by dismantling, straightening, reshaping, and reassembling parts, using cutting torch, straightening press, and hand tools
- Complete records, maintains tools and equipment, and performs various cleanup and housekeeping activities
Physical Demand/Work Environment:
- Knowledge of the AWS, ANSI and ASME codes
- Knowledge of operation of welding equipment, electrodes, fluxes, shielding gasses and welding processes
- Knowledge of carbon steel and other alloy metals, including stainless steel and aluminum
- Knowledge of the various size and grades of welding electrodes, the proper use of electrodes and welding processes, the appearance of a proper fit-up and the appearance of properly cleaned and prepared surface
- Ability to properly use and care for the tools and equipment and welding electrodes commonly used on an industrial project
- Ability to operate all hand tools and power tools associated with welding process
- Ability to prep steel shapes
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and be capable of performing assigned tasks with limited general technical guidance
- Ability to read, understand engineering prints
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is required to:
- Must have ability to stand, walk on level, uneven and slippery surfaces, sit, squat, kneel, reach through low and high ranges and exhibit normal balance and coordination. These basic physical requirements are essential for safe performance of the job in harsh environments with exposure to very cold temperatures and while wearing arctic gear.
- Lift 40 lbs from floor to knuckles x 2 with a 12 second interval
- Lift 40 lbs from floor to waist x 2 with a 12 second interval
- Lift 40 lbs from floor to shoulders x 2 with a 12 second interval
- Carry test: Carry 40 lbs with two hands for 50 feet x 2 (Allow rest period of 60 seconds between carry tests after 50 feet)
- Stairs: Climb up and down 12 steps x 8 for a total of 96 steps, self-paced but continuous; allow a 60 second rest break after every set of climbing up and down 48 steps
- Slanted ladder: Climb up and down 10 rungs x 6 for a total of 60 rungs, self-paced but continuous; allow a 60 second rest break after climbing up and down 30 rungs
- Push horizontally with a peak isometric force of 50 lbs
- Repetitive Kneel Test: Perform from standing, kneel on one knee, alternate from left to right knee x 5 each knee
- Repetitive Stoop Test: Perform from standing position, bend forward at waist as far as possible without bending the knees with hands reaching toward the floor x 5, self-paced but continuous.
- Repetitive Squat Test: Perform a functional squat and stand x 5
- Twist and Flex Test: Perform from standing alternate toe touches x 5 to each side to assess ability to twist and flex the trunk repetitively
This job description is intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of the job incumbents.
- Three (3) years experience in structural welding and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Must pass structural weld test upon offer. Welding tests include SMAW and FCAW welding process codes, D1.1 code, and ASME Section IX
- Valid driver's license including ability to be insured by CH2M Hill's auto insurer required
- Industrial, petrochemical, oilfield or arctic experience preferred
High School or GED
What you will find
At CH2M HILL, the greatest challenges provide the biggest rewards. Each day, your drive and creative ideas will be providing solutions that help build a better tomorrow. Whether it is the pride that comes with accomplishment, personal growth or making a difference in the world, you will discover true success in a career that brings out the best in you at CH2M HILL. Ready? Let's get to work. Developing People through Challenging Projects CH2M HILL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At CH2M, we love to take on our clients' most complex infrastructure and natural resource problems, creating new pathways for human...