Payroll Tax Assistant
Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of
ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field.
With nearly 150 years of experience, Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 142,000 employees in 67 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way,
reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
The Payroll Tax department is a support function to HR Shared Services, as well as other internal and external stakeholders. This position is responsible to ensure that U.S. federal, state and local payroll tax inquiries and audit requests from government agencies are addressed timely and accurately. In addition, this position is accountable for quarterly and annual payroll tax reconciliations, as well as processing of special taxes. There’s a non-payroll tax component to this position which includes account reconciliations, shared services billing and assisting with general ledger questions as necessary.
Tax Fiduciary Responsibilities
• Responsible for select Cargill companies to log open issues or tracers into the payroll tax team’s database. Research, or forward as necessary, items pertaining to federal and state notices for payments, refunds, rate changes and tax forms. Document resolution activity, match follow-up correspondence with original mailings, and file all documentation accordingly.
• Record and track incoming checks from government agencies. Determine if check should be deposited (give to HR Finance) or if not deposited research and determine course of action needed to resolve. Respond to federal, state and local agencies inquiries.
• Perform quarterly tax reconciliations between Cargill’s payroll system and our 3rd party service provider. Assist in resolution of year end W2 discrepancies and communicate corrections to the appropriate business area.
• Implement and / or maintain control processes, including tax amendment tracking with Cargill’s 3rd party provider, power of attorney tracking, and “good standing” tracking, and tracking of internal HR open items. Respond to audit requests from external and internal clients.
• Respond to employee payroll tax related questions or issues escalated from Cargill’s HR call center. This position is the main contact for escalations from the call center.
• Resolve issues related to unemployment claims paperwork. Ensure paperwork is communicated timely to Cargill’s 3rd party unemployment vendor. Maintain internal HR contact lists, and coordinate training between HR representatives and the vendor. This position is the main contact for unemployment items.
• Provide data for employment verification inquiries and assist in issue resolution. Forward requests through proper channels with the HR call center and Cargill’s 3rd party verification of employment (VOE) vendor. This position is the main contact for VOE’s.
• Coordinate employee requests for W-2 related information with Cargill’s 3rd party distribution and print vendor. Track and maintain a log with all returned W’2s for resending as requested by employee.
• Research incoming LOA deposits for accuracy against their record in People Soft, clear arrears in the payroll system. Maintain LOA excel work sheets, logging payments received for the month’s activities. Generating and maintain the necessary spread sheet that needs to be submitted to payroll for updating the employee record on the last weekly, bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll’s each month.
• Work with HR Finance to process payments back on checks received and applied, however with no activity-must be cleaned up by the end of each calendar year.
• Coordinate W-2 adjustments with the Payroll Department.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 3+ years accounting or payroll tax experience
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, communicate effectively, and work independently as well as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Two year degree in a business-related field
- 2+ years payroll tax experience
- Experience with multi-state and multi-entity taxation
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft
- Working knowledge of ADP Tax Service
- Working knowledge of JDE general ledger
This position is posted internally and externally.
Relocation assistance will not be provided for this role.
Cargill is an EEO/AA employer.
Cargill - 30+ days ago
Cargill is a unique place you can grow your career, your experience and your abilities. Every day, we grow our reputation as a leading...