The Finance Department
Pew’s Finance department is committed to serving as an excellent steward of financial resources; providing accurate, reliable, timely and cost effective finance and procurement related products and services; and delivering extraordinary customer service on a sustained basis. The Finance department is comprised of Institutional Finance, Operations Finance, Program Finance and Procurement and Contracts Services and desires to ensure each position is fully aligned with Pew’s mission, strategic priorities and results-oriented culture; and filled by a person with the competencies, skills, experience, and adaptability necessary to deliver extraordinary results.
Central Procurement Unit
Pew is in the process of developing and implementing a newly centralized procurement and contracting unit called Procurement and Contract Services that will be housed within the Finance Department. This new unit is comprised of four primary areas Institutional Procurement, Program Contracts, Operations Contracts and Quality Assurance. The new unit provides procurement and contracting services to internal Pew customers who desire to purchase a wide-range of specialized services from domestic and international vendors in addition to low-risk commodity-type goods and services. The mission of the new unit is to collaborate with program and operations staff to procure desired goods and services at a reasonable price and in a manner that is consistent with established Pew policies, procedures and cycle-time targets.
The senior specialist, Operations Contracts Services reports to the manager, Operations Contract Services and is based in Washington, DC. The senior specialist, Operations Contracts Services will leverage the strategic benefits of a centralized procurement and contracts unit to help support the transformation of Pew’s current purchasing roles and process into a centralized shared-services unit capable of delivering high quality, predictable and transparent services to each of Pew’s program and operations departments. The Senior Specialist, Operations Contracts will facilitate the procure-to-pay process by performing procurement and contracting activities consistent with industry best practices in accordance with Pew policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate will possess demonstrated experience (i) contributing to a change initiative that involved the centralization and/or streamlining of the procurement or contracting functions to yield a more efficient and effective process; (ii) procuring specialized and commodity-type goods and services from domestic and international vendors; (iii) ensuring compliance with procurement and contracting policies, procedures, service level agreements and cycle-time targets; (iv) participation in the negotiation of contract pricing, terms and conditions; (v) providing advice on how to write clear and concise scopes of work and deliverables and linking payment schedules to deliverables when appropriate; (vi) interacting with all levels of management; and (vii) using a purchase/travel card program and purchase orders to procure low-risk commodity-type purchases.
This position is responsible for assisting operations and program personnel with the purchase of specialized and commodity-type goods and services from domestic and international vendors, including
- Assisting operations and program staff (requestors/buyers) with the purchase requisition process, including confirming budget availability, source of funding and proper coding; providing market pricing information in support of price negotiations; helping to properly document how contract pricing was derived; assisting with writing scopes of work and deliverables when requested and linking payment schedules to deliverables when appropriate; providing consultative services to requestors, subject matter experts and vendors; assisting in the determination of the appropriate contractual and/or purchasing vehicle to use for each purchase request, in accordance with Pew policy and procedures; and evaluating requisition packages for completeness and proper pre-approvals and sign-offs.
- Facilitating the vendor selection and due diligence process, including deploying an established list of preferred vendors by service-type and related performance evaluations to help requestors with the vendor selection process; developing strategic sourcing plans in consultation with requestors when asked; developing proposal solicitation strategies and managing voluntary RFP processes; and coordinating the distribution and/or collection of vendor due diligence information, including but not limited to self-certification forms and domestic and international tax identification documents.
- Participating in the negotiation of legal terms and conditions and pricing upon request, including assisting with gathering comparable market pricing information and negotiating best price to ensure quality goods and services are being purchased for a reasonable price.
- Creating contract packages, including creating complete, accurate and properly coded contract agreements, purchase orders and related fee and expense line items; performing quality assurance checks; facilitating the review, approval and execution of final contract documents by authorized Pew and vendor signers; properly archiving approved documents; ensuring Pew’s information systems contain complete and accurate vendor, procurement, contracting and coding information; and sending contracts to designated vendors.
- Consistently monitoring key contract dates and terms and the contract closeout process, including assisting with resolution of issues involving contract terms and conditions, deliverables and payments; generating monthly contract aging and other reports to facilitate monitoring and collaborating with requestor to determine if contract should be closed or amended; soliciting requestor confirmation that all deliverables have been received and all invoices paid; and completing contract closeout checklists and securing requestors’ approval to close contracts and/or purchase orders and rescind any remaining encumbrances.
- Actively participate in special projects, as assigned, which may include project coordination, project management, inter and intra departmental collaboration, research, analysis and writing; and developing solutions and resolving issues based upon abstract thinking and in-depth analysis, collaborating with colleagues and other staff to determine a resolution.
- Bachelor's degree required; certified procurement, contracting or equivalent professional designation required; and knowledge of contract law preferred.
- A minimum of five years of relevant contracting and procurement experience with for-profits, non-profits and/or universities, including familiarity with specialized pricing structures.
- Experience with complex contractual arrangements, including contracts (i) funded by multiple budgets and/or donors; (ii) supporting numerous projects and/or programs; (iii) with international vendors, foreign currencies and unfamiliar laws; (iv) with lobbying considerations; and (v) with non-profits that require knowledge of tax exempt law.
- Expertise negotiating price and terms and conditions for domestic and international contracts; and designing a strategic sourcing strategy in collaboration with requestors, including leading RFP activities.
- Experience supporting a change management initiative, such as centralization of the procurement and/or contracting functions for a more efficient and effective process.
- Consistent compliance with contract cycle-times and successful management of customer expectations, including demonstrated experience reducing cycle-times and driving process efficiencies without negatively impacting the quality of the outcome.
- Strong understanding of financial management, including budgeting, reporting and analytics, as well as familiarity with basic accounting, costing and overhead allocation principles.
Occasional travel (one day per month on average) to Pew’s Philadelphia office.
Pew is an equal opportunity employer.
The Pew Charitable Trusts - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard