The Office of Information Resources and Technology (IRT) at Stanford University provides information technology, informatics and knowledge management services in support of the School of Medicine's clinical, research and educational missions. We are seeking an experienced and motivated Senior Database Administrator to help us plan, architect/design and administer enterprise database servers within a clustered database environment.
Architecture and Development:
• Provide project leadership in both new and existing production, development and test environments. Make recommendations to management on industry trends/forecasts and new features and technologies.
• Proactively identify existing database infrastructure and space management issues and provide appropriate solutions.
• Participate in application design, and advise developers on database best practices. Evaluate database and software requirements and influence design decisions.
• Promote department standards and ensure all databases are fully HIPAA compliant. Ensure that HIPAA data are properly encrypted or otherwise secured.
• Provide technical leadership and mentorship, and act as a point of escalation for advanced/complex database questions from development teams.
• Collaborate with systems administrators, developers, and product managers to build sustainable applications that support medical research at Stanford School of Medicine with cutting edge technology.
• Propose capacity planning for all database systems.
Documentation and Communications:
• Maintain internal documentation describing requirements, detailed design, implementation and ongoing changes in policies and procedures for data center staff.
• Develop and implement backup and recovery policies including Disaster Recovery site
• Maintain database access and audit logs.
• Build and maintain good internal customer relationships and external vendor relationships.
• Present recommendations on standards, procedures, database new features and new infrastructure trend to internal customers.
• Setup and maintain database performance monitoring systems.
• Configure and tune hardware and software to insure optimum performance and resource utilization.
• Participate in escalation procedures keeping production databases operational 24x7 as required.
• Automate operation workflow.
• Support for on-going security patch, upgrade, database migration and consolidation.
• Support Oracle 12c cloud control infrastructure.
• Promote employee teamwork and communication.
Required skills / experience:
• 7 years of experience, with at least 5 years Oracle database administration and management experience, including strong design/architecture skills and database performance tuning with multiple clustered databases in large-scale enterprise environments.
• Expert user of PL/SQL.
• Skilled with multiple scripting type languages e.g. PERL, Java, JDBC, Hibernate, Perl, Ruby, Python or Unix Shell scripting.
• Prior experience in data encryption, database security and database auditing.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with ability to communicate complex technical issues to non-technical users.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to simultaneously and successfully prioritize and provide project leadership on multiple projects of varying levels of size and complexity.
• Expert level of knowledge of Oracle RAC, Data Guard, RMAN and Cloud Control.
• Experience with one or more of MySQL, MS SQL Server and NoSQL
• BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
• Big Data Analytics
• Design and management of Hadoop systems
• Designing and building Oracle Apex applications
• Prior experience with NetApp and VMware
• Prior experience supporting MongoDB servers
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of ETL tools such as Informatica or Pentaho, and reporting tools like OBIEE or Business Objects.
Information Technology Services
School of Medicine
Stanford University - 10 months ago
The Stanford Technology Ventures Program is dedicated to accelerating high-technology entrepreneurship education and creating scholarly...