The Open Learning Initiative builds rich, interactive and effective online courses. We are an innovative, multidisciplinary team pairing research and engineering to increase access to and improve outcomes in higher education. We use data and research to drive our decision making. We are seeking an experienced Linux systems administrator to manage, maintain and scale our web-based learning environment. Join our team and architect solutions for cloud based deployment, provisioning and configuration management, and scalable fault tolerant systems.
Responsibilities of this position:
- Manage development, quality assurance, and production environments. Install, maintain and configure system and application software. Review and implement new vendor supplied patches and upgrades. Facilitate new applications and services. Attend to all systems administration tasks required to ensure 24x7 operations.
- Design and implement a scalable, fault tolerant architecture for applications and systems. Benchmark and load test application servers; test failover capabilities. Project future utilization and size systems appropriately.
- Migrate existing Java enterprise applications to the cloud. Automate provisioning and maintenance of new systems and installations.
- Standardize operating system and application configurations across systems. Develop tools and processes for deploying application software and managing data.
- Participate in the design and review of new systems and applications. Work with the software development team on implementation and deployment. Recommend modifications to improve performance and reliability.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues that are escalated from the help desk. Monitor system performance and respond to system incidents. Perform or assist in troubleshooting and diagnosing production problems; correct identified problems; document issues and resolutions. Work with software and hardware vendors on technical issues.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field.
- Experience: Three or more years of Linux systems administration experience.
- Ability to install, configure, monitor and maintain JBoss, MySQL and Apache on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Demonstrated expertise in scaling Java enterprise applications and relational database systems. In depth knowledge of systems architectures for load balancing and fault tolerance.
- Experience with automated provisioning and configuration management of servers in large scale, mission critical production environments.
- Experience with cloud based and/or virtualized SaaS deployment scenarios. Familiarity with Amazon Web Services is preferred.
- Ability to implement security best practices, harden systems, assess and mitigate vulnerabilities. Remain knowledgeable of information security threats and practice defense-in-depth.
- Ability to identify, isolate and resolve systems problems. Proactively maintain application and system software.
- Architect, implement and maintain partitioning and replication of MySQL databases.
- Strong working knowledge of common systems administration tools, network backup solutions, system monitoring, advanced shell scripting, TCP/IP networking and firewalls.
- Physical Mobility: Able to sit and work from a computer monitor for long periods of time. May have to travel to campus or other locations.
- Environmental Conditions: Some work may be performed in a secure computer data center with occasional interruptions and constant background noise.
- Work on multiple projects simultaneously, requiring attention to detail and the ability to work within constrained timelines. Ability to estimate time, prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must be team-oriented, communicate clearly and effectively, and demonstrate the ability to work well with others in a creative and collaborative environment.
- Ability to work under pressure, pay attention to detail, meet inflexible deadlines and deal with difficult individuals while maintaining composure.
- Other: Must be able to support 24x7 operations by carrying a pager. Weekend, evening and holiday hours may be required on occasion. May be required to stay at or return to work during incidents and/or emergencies to perform duties as requested.
- Education: Master's degree in Computer Science or Information Systems.
- Experience: Five or more years of related experience; advanced knowledge of scalable systems architectures.
- Experience with Java application server or Tomcat clustering.
- Experience deploying distributed caching technologies (memcached, ehcache or JBoss Cache).
- Familiarity with web performance optimization techniques and tools. Configure and optimize Apache for SSL, compression, content negotiation, caching and expiration, AJP proxy, etc.
- Familiarity with enterprise authentication or directory systems and web based SSO through Shibboleth, SAML or OpenID.
Regular Full Time
OFFICE OF TECHNOLOGY FOR EDUCATION
Minimum Education Level
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
Carnegie Mellon University - 21 months ago
We are a global research university with more than 12,000 students, 92,000 alumni and 5,000 faculty and staff. Carnegie Mellon has been a...