The Open Technology Initiative at New America Foundation (OTI) seeks a Research Associate to support our community technology projects and related research. OTI°s Field Analysts and Research Fellows have numerous research projects underway examining issues such as privacy and surveillance, the efficacy of broadband adoption programs, the role of partnerships in broadband adoption programs, and the impact of specific technology interventions. OTI serves as a research and evaluation partner to community organizations, government agencies and academic institutions working on broadband adoption and computer center projects in Philadelphia and Detroit. OTI is also partnering with community organizations for the deployment of community wireless networks and seeks to understand the impact of these projects. |
The Research Associate will be an essential contributor to these efforts. Depending on her or his skills, the Research Associate will conduct interviews or focus groups, analyze quantitative and qualitative data, and otherwise support the lead researchers; install wireless networking equipment and gather user feedback; write blog posts and policy briefs and assist with organizing and coordinating various events.
The ideal candidate has a familiarity with a range of research methods and/or experience with community media or technology design. We welcome applications from people with experience in other fields, such as public health, ecology, urban planning or economics, but please explain in your cover letter why you want to transition to the field of media and technology and why your experience in a different field would be an asset.
- Assist OTI ’s Field Analysts and Research Fellows with their research.
- Assist OTI ’s Field Analysts and Engineers with wireless deployments, other technology projects and related evaluation.
- Edit, proofread, and fact-check a variety of policy reports and research papers.
- Produce blog posts, briefs, and related media.
- Perform various administrative duties as needed.
- Coordinate logistics for events.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Familiarity with a range of research methodologies.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Political imagination.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize work and manage time in order to meet multiple deadlines.
- Flexible, self-motivated, and enthusiastic team player.
- Familiarity with open source technology, digital literacy, community media, participatory design, popular education, online privacy or digital surveillance.
- Fluency in additional languages is a plus.
New America Foundation - 11 months ago