INVENT YOUR FUTURE
Battelle is the world’s largest, independent research and development organization, working to advance scientific discovery and application. We’re accelerating innovation by bringing people, science and technology together. From National Security, Energy, Environment and Material Sciences, and Health and Life Sciences, to Education and Laboratory Management, we provide innovative solutions to address the world’s most pressing needs. We partner with government, industry, and communities to enhance quality of life for people everywhere.
The Identity Management Business is currently seeking a Bioinformatics Post-Doctoral Scientist . This position is located in Rockville, MD or Arlington, VA .
The Bioinformatics Post-Doctoral Scientist will support data management, computational analysis and interpretation of large genomic data sets. We are performing cutting edge genomics research in the areas of human genetics, using the latest next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies combined with high performance computing techniques. Excellent verbal and written communication skills will be essential as the individual will work collaboratively with biologists and statisticians to generate data for publications and presentations at professional meetings.
- Designing, planning, executing, analyzing, and reporting of experiments rooted in population genetics and genome wide associations
- Researching, developing and evaluating novel computational approaches for next generation sequencing analysis, data transfer and analysis pipelines, and downstream analysis and visualization
- Evaluating and integrating community-developed bioinformatics tools
- Preparing scientific journal publications and presenting at professional meetings
- Preparing proposals for external funding
Additionally, the selected candidate will be expected to train other laboratory staff, as well as to perform certain administrative functions, as necessary, to ensure smooth functioning of the laboratory and timely distribution of program deliverables. A moderate amount of domestic travel is anticipated.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Sole U.S. citizenship, with the ability to obtain and maintain required government security clearances as a condition of employment
- PhD in bioinformatics, biostatistics, or computational biology or a closely related field and a firm understanding of human genetics and molecular biology
- Strong focus on algorithm development, data structures and scientific programming
- A demonstrated proficiency in analysis of large population-based genetic repositories and analysis of NGS data
- Experience with UNIX/LINUX, including shell scripting and proficiency in a scripting language (e.g., C, Java, Perl or Python)Experience with database management, cluster computing, and bioinformatics platforms (e.g., Bowtie)
- A proven ability to plan and execute research studies
- Must be detail-oriented, reliable and conscientious, with exceptional organizational, oral and written communication skills. The candidate must also be capable of independent contribution, and must be able to thrive in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Sufficiently medically fit to work in the laboratory to perform assigned duties.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Previous experience of the application of genetics to human forensics
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, employee pension, tuition reimbursement, work/life balance, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.
Battelle - 16 months ago
When you use a copier, hit a golf ball, or listen to a CD, you're using technologies developed by Battelle Memorial Institute. The...