Virgin Islands National Guard
Area of Consideration: Open nationwide to current Army National Guard officers within the grades of MAJ/04 - LTC/05. Military member must be eligible to acquire membership in the Virgin Islands Army National Guard in an available and compatible military grade for the excepted technician position.
Position Location: Kingshill, St. Croix.
Selecting Official: COL Richard D. Kemp
PCS : PCS is not authorized.
Selected Reserve Incentive Program (SRIP): Acceptance of a Federal Excepted technician position of over 179 days in length will cause termination from the SRIP.
Type of Appointment : This is a full-time, Excepted Permanent dual-status, position which requires Virgin Islands Army National Guard membership.
Job Summary: This position is located in the J4, State Surface Maintenance Management Office. The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the Army National Guard (ARNG) Surface Maintenance Manager. Provides management direction, control, and accountability for ARNG surface maintenance programs and activities. These consist of, but are not limited to, the Combined Support Maintenance Shop (CSMS), Maneuver Area Training Equipment Site (MATES), Unit Training Equipment Site (UTES), and Field Maintenance Shops (FMS). Work requires comprehensive managerial knowledge of the principles, concepts, and practices involving ARNG surface maintenance facilities, equipment, and services.
Background Check: Selectee may, at the option of the agency, be required to submit to criminal, credit history, and general background checks which will be evaluated by the agency prior to a final offer of employment and access into the Virgin Islands National Guard Federal Technician or Active Guard/Reserve program.
National Guard Membership: This position requires military membership. It is designated for Virgin Islands Army National Guard Officer incumbent(s) only. In accordance with ARNG regulations, incumbent performs duties necessary to accomplish military Surface Maintenance Manager functions in support of programs essential to state Army National Guard daily operations, training and readiness missions. As a member of a Virgin Islands Army National Guard unit, you will be required to train with your unit, normally one weekend a month and 15 days of annual training each year. Virgin Islands Army National Guard units and members are subject to immediate call to federal or state active duty to meet national or state emergencies.
- Must be a current US Citizen.
- Under 5 USC 2108 & 5 CFR 211, Veteran's Preferences criteria does not apply
- Direct Deposit Banking is Mandatory.
- Military Requirement: BR 88A, 90A, 91A.
The following list of duties is not conclusive but provides a brief snapshot of the duties that may be required of this position:
General Experience: Must have experience which has provided a knowledge of equipment maintenance work, or skill in reading engineering drawings and specifications, using test instruments, making computations, and keeping records. Experience using computer and automation systems.
- Manages, directs, coordinates, and oversees the ARNG State Surface Maintenance program.
- Plans and schedules work and production to be accomplished by subordinates, sets and adjust short-term priorities.
- Manages all aspects of the maintenance program, to include long- and short-range planning, maintenance training and proficiency, human resources direction, budgeting, etc.
- Provides technical and administrative advice to the Director of Logistics (DOL), commanders, and various staff officers regarding the surface maintenance programs, fiscal matters, organizational planning, and staffing for all levels of maintenance.
- Plans and establishes maintenance policies, programs, and procedures to assure effective support of DoD (Department of Defense) and training mission requirements.
- Evaluates accomplishment of the surface maintenance program to ensure systems and programs are functioning properly; effective utilization and maintenance of equipment; and that projects are accomplished within established deadlines.
- Directs inspections of operating activities to determine the condition of required facilities, the effectiveness of maintenance activities in support of programs, and to ensure coordination between such activities.
- Directs and coordinates the correction of maintenance deficiencies affecting unit readiness.
- Serves as program manager for surface maintenance funds.
- Conducts staff conferences to outline priorities and collaborate on budget impacts caused by increased costs, changes in programs and facilities, mission/weapons system changes, and requirements for new facilities or facility remodeling, etc.
- Exercises significant responsibilities in dealing with, or advising, higher ranked officials of other units or organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned .
Specialized Experience: Must have at least 36 months specialized experience in applying principles, concepts, and methods of equipment, facility, or service operations sufficient in designing projects or planning assignments. Experience using well-established occupational methods and techniques to determine facility, grounds, equipment overhaul, maintenance, restoration, repair needs, printing design layout, etc. Experience working and serving as the contractor representative to ensure compliance with the contract scheduling and sequence of operations. Experience coordinating work forces and resources and negotiating with management or clients concerning problems. Experience in managing the function of the work to be performed. Experience which includes leading, directing and assigning work of personnel.
Other Requirements : For positions requiring a driver's license candidate must have a valid state driver's license for the state in which they live or principally employed. For positions requiring a security clearance candidate must possess a security clearance (Secret or Top Secret) or be able to obtain a clearance within One year of appointment.
National Guard Compatibility : Once an applicant is selected and prior to being placed in the technician Surface Maintenance Manager position the selectee must be assigned to any unit in the Virgin Islands Army National Guard as an Officer in BR: 88A, 90A, 91A. Rank inversion is strictly prohibited. Wear of the Army uniform as prescribed by AR/NGB/VI NGR is required for incumbent of this position. Acceptance of this position constitutes concurrence with this requirement as a condition of employment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/InteractiveBenefits#icc .
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see www.sss.gov ).
usajobs.gov - 18 months ago
The Army is a key component of the U.S. Armed Forces, providing expeditionary land forces wherever and whenever they are required. Working...