Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hrs/week
- Work in multi-disciplinary research, development and engineering environment to identify opportunities for advanced controls
- Determine control challenges and value propositions, and write appropriate proposals to initiate control projects
- Propose and define project objective, scope, timeline and deliverables, and identify and seek resource to meet project needs
- Be familiar with various instrumentations and control techniques, perform control system assessment, and provide recommendation for control system maintenance and upgrade
- Utilize data analysis skills, including statistical analysis, multivariate statistical analysis, frequency analysis, etc., to provide fundamental understanding leading to control system design
- Conduct or collaborate with experts in other fields on control oriented process modeling
- Design and develop innovative advanced control solutions for technical challenges, and implement solutions for R&D and manufacturing processes
- Work closely with experts in other disciplines or functions in project teams to develop controls and integrate other related technology such as process sensing and modeling
- Utilize advanced controls skills to implement advanced control solutions such as linear and non-linear controls, model predictive control, fuzzy logic control, supervisory controls
- Utilize and continually improve development processes, generate appropriate technical reports, invention disclosures and patent applications
- Travel Requirements (please note if international): 25%
Job Title: Sr. Controls Scientist/Engineer
Reference Number: 169696
Required Education: Ph.D. in Electrical or Chemical Engineering. Strong candidates with M.S. in Electrical or Chemical Engineering will also be considered.
Required Years and Area of Experience: 5 years relevant experience is required
- Experience in design, development and implementation of advanced control techniques and their application in manufacturing processes
- Good understanding of control structures used in multiple disciplines (Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) and ability to implement and integrate them based on the nature of problems
- Knowledge of classic, modern and intelligent control theory, parameter estimation and identification, signal processing, data analysis, process modeling and simulation
- Modeling experience in chemical engineering processes (first principal and empirical)
- Good skill in software programming and simulation such as Matlab, Simulink, C, PLC
- The ability to communicate and sell technical ideas and initiatives
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with a diverse employee group and across many levels of management
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and on a team to develop and deliver technology in a project-based environment
- Understanding of R&D and the skills required to effectively provide advanced controls and systems technology into R, D & E
- Understanding of manufacturing and the skills required to introduce advanced technology into manufacturing
- Strong problem solving skills and methodologies
- Fast learning skills and capability to apply new knowledge to practice efficiently
- Previous supervisory or matrix resource leadership experience
- Strong technology curiosity, and willing to learn
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse cultures and technical backgrounds and across technologies, disciplines and functions
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Work ethic and persistence – sticks with a task until completion
- Innovative in finding novel solutions to new or existing problems
- Optimistic, “can do” attitude in the face of challenges and set-backs
- Networking and general organizational awareness skills
- Leadership of cross-functional and cross-disciplinary groups
Kenexa - 11 months ago
Kenexa Corporation provides software, services and proprietary content that enable organizations to effectively recruit and retain employees...