Title: General Superintendent Field & P.M. Operations
Department: Transportation Services
Post Date: 01/15/2013
Close Date: 01/29/2013
Hay Point Evaluation: 1040
2012 Salary Range: Minimum: $101,486/Midpoint: $126,858
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Chief Transportation Officer
This is a Non-Represented Position.
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO LIRR EMPLOYEES ONLY.
Please note that this position has been designated as a "Policy Maker," pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
This position has primary responsibility for the safe and reliable operation of the department's field operations, which includes west end and east end territories. In addition, this position will have oversight acting as the Incident Commander of the entire railroad operation including the Engineering, Maintenance of Equipment, and Transportation Services departments as it will be the highest ranking officer on property during the PM commission hours. The position will also be a direct link for communication to senior staff during the PM commission hours.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Direct and oversee all the day-to-day operations of the PM commission hours from Penn Station to all eastern terminals. This oversight includes acting as the Incident Commander for railroad operations including but not limited to the Transportation Services, Maintenance of Equipment, and Engineering Departments.
- Direct and oversee all day-to-day 24 hour operations of the department's East End, West End, and Equipment and Energy territories.
- Directly oversee investigations involving Transportation Services Department employees in response to operations, internal and external communication and incident response when necessary. Establish plans to eliminate future issues. When appropriate, ensure that discipline is equitably and consistently assessed. Assure managerial response and investigation of operating/all incidents; oversee completion and provide feedback on content and quality of specific responsibilities, including incident response, accident and incident investigation, and written reports therein (AR-20, AR10, Incident Reports, etc.). In addition, this position has the authority to order FRA/Corporate drug testing, relieve employees, have employees taken out of service and order statements of facts.
- Develop and administer/implement departmental policy to ensure adherence to operating rules and procedures. Ensure enforcement of all departmental and corporate policy and procedures, in an effort to provide safe, reliable and secure service.
- Direct communication link for senior staff during the PM commission hour, explaining implications of incidents and communicating our responses and needs; in addition to carrying out directives received by senior staff.
- On an "as required basis," represent the Chief Transportation Officer and effectively work with both departmental staff as well as corporate senior management.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. This includes both hiring and dismissing of craft and managerial employees. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals. Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Bachelor's Degree in Transportation, Business or related field of study. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must possess recent, related progressively responsible management experience (approximately 12 years), to include at least 8 years management operating experience.
- Must be fully qualified on Operating Rules, Physical Characteristics, and FRA Regulations.
- Must possess working knowledge of Trial Office procedures and protocol.
- Must possess working knowledge of Fare Collection, Training, Crew Management and departmental administrative responsibilities.
- Must possess working knowledge of Operating Rules and Air Brake Training procedures and protocol.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
- Must possess strong team building skills.
- Must possess ability to balance multiple responsibilities and duties simultaneously.
- Must possess thorough understanding of applicable Labor Agreements.
- Must possess ability to formulate plans and develop solutions to complex issues.
- Must have a thorough understanding of LIRR policies and procedures.
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://portal.mtabsc.info/psp/PXPRD/EXTRANET/PAEXT/h/?tab=DEFAULT, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to Job Listings (Internal).
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.